Spooling wire?

I am new to Lake Ontario Fishing. I already posted about what lines to buy. I am going to set up a couple poles on top of my brown trout poles. I want to get two wire dipsy set ups that was suggested by a bunch of you guys along with A-TOM-MIK. I have been reading a ton on here but can't find anything on proper spooling of wire line. I am going to wait for the time being on copper till I reload the tackle money fund. When spooling wire do I need backer? Do I use a line like power pro for so many feet first. Then load on the wire. Then more of the power pro to whatever liter I want to go with? What wire line are you guys using? Your guys help is needed. I may just surf the net but figure you guys would know better what is best for where we fish.

Thanks in advance.

Len

I used a wrap of duct tape. We've got 19 strand Torpedo wire one one and 7 strand Torpedo on the other. Haven't used them yet so no opinion but other popular choices are Malin, Mason and AFW.

Put it on as tight as you can when you spool it. I didn't do a very good job on the 7 strand (managed to break the spool) so I ran almost all of it out behind the boat with a locked dipsy and reeled it all back under tension. My arm was sore for days :)

It depends on the reel, if you have a big reel and can spool a 100 yards of power pro, then thats great, you dont need to but if you can its a plus. When you use wire eventualy you will be cutting chunks off, your 1000 feet will get shorter, but it will not matter untill your down pretty short.

If your reel is small your choices are limeted just spool the wire on some tape like suggested.

I use Malin 7 strand as is a old proven standby that has worked for a long time, so its as close to a sure thing for me so I stick with it.

I have heard some guys try some of the other wires and had fits with it, but dont ask me what ones I cant remember becasue I dont have to know all the bad, just one good one.

Spool 100 yards+ of 50# power pro and 1000 of wire on a big saltiest reel and you will be real happy.

Diawa 47 fills up nicely with a 1000' of wire. Tie it to the spool and put a wrap of tape like the others have said across the wire to the spool. Put it on tight. Someone had a rig he made to tension the wire spool to put the wire tight on the reel. It was Buckboard Jr's. post on loading wire in this section of the board. I don't use any backing on the wire reels. Good Luck