actual downrigger depth

Hi guys. Here's a rookie question to everyone. When figuring downrigger depth, do you just go by the cable length, or figure in the angle of the cable and get the actual depth? I've only been out twice so far and I'm trying to pick up as much advice as I can to see if I can have some success before the season ends. Last week everyone on the radio was saying 70 feet down so I had my cables down 80-90 figuring that was pretty close with the angle factored in. Thanks for any help. Jeremy

jeremy

When figuring out downrigger depth dont think to much into it. If they are saying 70 down they are fishing out 70 on the riggers.

There is a few factors with one being blowback- angle of the downrigger cable pushing back as you go deeper due to down current and your boat pushing forward, but what really matters is the number on the rigger.

To really dial in where the fish are you can watch your fishfinder and try and track your downrigger balls and where the fish are showing. Not to make this a dragged out answer if they are fishing 70 down its more an approximation not an exact measurement

Jax

All Jax has stated is true. If they said a depth. that is the depth that they had on their rigger counter.

Also concider, If you see a fish on your fish finder at 80 feet, do not figure your blow back and all other variables and drop your ball down 87 feet. More than likely you will not be right on your calculations and you could be below the fish. You always want your presentation to be above the fish. See fish at 80, put 80 feet of cable out. With all decent ball weights (8 to 16 pounds) you will be no more than say 8 feet above the fish. This distance is a small distance for a Great Lakes fish to travel to hit your presentation. I have seen kings on the bottom come up 30 feet on my ff to hit my flasher/flie

Good luck and have fun out there.

Richard

Even 70 feet out on your depthfinder doesn't mean 70 foot down. When a fish shows up as a hook shape It starts out deeper at the edge of the sonar cone, then rises up at the highest point in the cone and drops off again. It may not be directly in the center of the cone so its true depth may be different than your reading on the graph.

Another item to think about, Cannon Digitrolls for the first few years were notorious for inaccurate counter readings. The magnets in the wheels and the Hall sensor (counter) were off approx. 30 ft PLUS. That is, the counter read 100' and you had 130' of cable out! I know several Charter Captains who lost many dollars in weights and tackle.

It is best to get a 100" steel tape and check your rigger counters. It will open your eyes up!

It is best to only believe part of the radio talk unless you personally KNOW the person.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

P.S. A lot of Charter Boats run Cannon Digitrolls!

A couple of other points missed. If you don't have the same rigger weights both in weight and shape, it could make a big difference. If you ask, a lot of guys will tell you what they are running. A lot of guys are now running power pro on their riggers. With the less blowback this could affect the depth they're running at. What speed are they trolling at. Where on the lake are they. The temperature may be a lot different were they are fishing than where you are. Beware chasing the radio!

Know your equipment. I go out and let the rigger ball out until it hit the bottom and let it settle and do it again. This will tell you how accurate your counters are. Having 400' of cable spooled up on your riggers will screw up your counters. You can also tilt your transducer back slightly and turn the gain up on your fish finder and see your weights on the screen.

The counter is for repeatability only. If they say the fish are coming 70 down, that means they are reading that their equipment is running at 70 down, 70 of cable out.

Fish your equipment in your zone so that you know where you are presenting your baits. Its generally better to fish too high as fish see upwards. I would rather be too high up in the water column than beneath the fish as the fish wouldn't see me baits that are below them.