coated cable question

i just put the coated cable on one of the riggers 4 the spped n temp sensor n was just tryin 2 make sure i did it right i sripped of the 1st 6 ft of cable n wrapped it around the spool u guys were talkin about havin the cable touch the set screw i dont recall seen a screw does it seem like its done right n now with this coated cable i have a 12lb directional ball on this just wonderin how much to acually let out to get to around 70 ft down i m not sure with the blowback

1. Set screw depends on the rigger

2. Blowback/depth depends on type of downrigger weight, boat speed, currents at depth of weight etc. Your best bet is to have a depth finder that will show where your downrigger weight is running otherwise it's trial and error.

Shawn

Your best bet is to have a depth finder that will show where your downrigger weight is running otherwise it's trial and error.

Trouble with this is that the screen will always show how far the ball is from the transducer, not how deep it is. A 12 lb ball with a probe can have lots of blow back, raising it up quite a lot. The sonar will still say it is 70 feet from the transducer. I ran a Cannon probe for a season which has a depth sensor. A .2 mph speed change would change the depth sensor's readout by 5-10 feet.

Here's a test for you. Get set up in stable water at trolling speed and drop your probe to 70 feet with a line attached. Take a temp measurement. Then come to a full stop stop and raise your probe to the temp you had when trolling. That depth should aqpproximate the true depth at which it ran with the blowback. Do this at several different depths and you will get a good idea of the amount blowback raises your ball.

You can also buy a Fish Hawk TD which is a small unit you can attach to your line to get a depth reading.