Calibration of line counter reel???

Thanks so much for all the great info guys. I decided to measure off a 50 foot distance and compare it with my line counter at 50 feet...not even close. Can anyone tell me how much 20lb mono to put on my reel under my 500 feet of 30 lb wire to make my line counters allot more accurate. My reel is a Eagle claw JC 600 30 D. Line capacity is 20lb/355 yd. Thank You, Andy

When the reel is full it will be closer. Make sure you have a friend to help you spool the wire. One misshap and you kink the wire and ruin the spool. Get a second person with leather glove on to hold the spool . You must keep it tight. If you have a big enough yard you can wind on wire connect mono, reel until reel is full. Do not forget that mono will swell once wet so leave some room for that. Tie the mono to something heavy and walk untill reel is empty. Walk back to mono end put on reel and wind it in from the other end. Again the wire should be hooked to something so you can wind it tight. Wes

You could spool your leader first then your wire and then your backer. Fill your spool and then check against your known distance. Then remove line from your backer until its close. When your happy with it use an empty spool on a drill and remove all the line. Then you have to spool it on another spool to get it so your backer will go on your reel first. It's a pain but it's the only way if you want it that close. Remember as you let line out the line counter becomes less accurate because the spool diameter is getting smaller.

The counter is also designed to compensate for the fact that the spool diameter gets smaller as line is let out. However it is based on a certain diameter line (20 lb. Mono I think is the general convention). So in reality it is likely to be off a little - progressively more - as you let line out unless your line matches the line its designed for.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Its not how accurate they are its the repeatability . You learn where the dipsie is running and use that to guesstamate where they are. I know that the counters are just that they don't compensate for how much line is on the spool they count revolations, just like the counter on your riggers. If you are hitting fish with 220' of wire out with a #1 dipsie on a #3 setting . Put it back to the 220 :yes:

Andy,

You are going to have to experiment and get it so it is pretty close to full for it to be somewhat accurate. I agree with what Big Dave says but it is nice if it is fairly accurate. That way if someone says they are hitting on the diver 250 back, then you can try to match it with your diver 250 back.