wire dipsy question

I was out yesterday trolling with my wire rods and I had them out 270ft on a 2.5 setting in 110 fow and I was dragging bottom?????? A few weeks ago I was fishing the same depth for lakers out 290 to 300 ft of wire and never touched bottom, any thoughts as to why any one? The only difference was yesterday it was choppy with about 2 footers. The other days it was calm. Using the basic 3 to 1 ratio for wire I figured I should be 100 feet down for 300 ft of wire (30lb). The only thing I could think of is maybe with the wave action up and down it may have caused it to dive deeper?

Well on my 16ft boat when it gets choppy I get a lot of speed change, like it can go from 2.5 to 1.5 and then through in a turn on top of that and you will hit bottom, so I think the problem is speed. Hope this helps. ;) .

ya know i was just thinkin about the diver /vs/ wire out (ft),,I know what seems to be for me is 3 to 1 with over 100 ft of line out...then i gota thinkin i ant never did a accurate counter/actual line out , test .. we all know the accuracy of line counters depends on the amount of line on the spool,and then when yer talkin 250,300ft line out if yer off by 1 or 2 in average thats a pretty good discrepency in depth.. just thinkin out loud.....

Think this morning i will do a actual measurment ,compared to my counter...thanks

You didn't mention speed, especially down speed, that is a big factor, if you are going slower this week then you are dropping deeper.

As stated above if you were going with a current the drag on your line/lure was light and it dropped lower. You will now when you have to bump your gps speed up to keep your down speed in check. If you don't speed up your gear could be sinking as it drifts along with the current below.

Also if you made a turn before you noticed the bumping, I have been on boats with guys that have bounced bottom after turning and your inside line dropped down as it slowed then they think that they have super divers that reach unheard of depths. Keep with your rule of thumb 3-1.

Hows the fishing out of oswego?

j

One other thing, the only accurate way to know where your diver or any other gear should be running is to do the bump check on bottom while trolling in a straight line and with no down current. Unfortunately, the amount of time necessary to do these checks is too much for me or most of us to sacrifice with the little fishing time we weekenders actually get.

Thats good info, I was setting up at a little slow speed (friend driving boat) was deploying temp. probe at the time but down speed was mainly 1.8-2.6 all day I would say it did happen while heading more with the current, I don't believe it happened against the current but either direction I basically tried to keep the same range down speed. I couldn't find the fish so I was all over with depths and speeds. Oswego was very slow for me yesterday but better for others. I was alone out there except for 2 boats way away from me from 10am till 3pm.

One other thing, the only accurate way to know where your diver or any other gear should be running is to do the bump check on bottom while trolling in a straight line and with no down current. Unfortunately, the amount of time necessary to do these checks is too much for me or most of us to sacrifice with the little fishing time we weekenders actually get.

Or you could use a fishhawk TD. This will tell you exactly what depth you reached with your dipsey and the temperature at that depth.