Sodus report 6/15/12 and Herbiecam Vid

It looks like the fish "miss" a lot with the spin doctor, I'd be interested to see if they "miss" as much with a flasher that spins much slower? Or maybe a longer leader on the fly to slow the spin down?

Nick

Ever since watching these videos I have been tying my fly leaders as long as I can with the pre-rigged flies. About 26" or so and have been doing great. I used to run them between 18"-22" but now am thinking 36"-48" might even be better. You still want the action but it needs to be easier for the fish to bite it.

shhhhhhhhh!! im breakin out my big paddles next trip...yup wayne that meens slower ,ell speedio,,,well ya still gotta match yer speed to yer presentation,,gonna be some serious testing at the surface from now on before anything goes down...Hey with that said how long of leaders did you use in the videos,what speed,and where did ya have the swivels in yer spinnies,,,,IE: front hole ,back,,,,,slower action or fast in the rear???????? and I assume the camera was at the ball ? how far back was the spinny (leader) from the ball???

shhhhhhhhh!! im breakin out my big paddles next trip...yup wayne that meens slower ,ell speedio,,,well ya still gotta match yer speed to yer presentation,,gonna be some serious testing at the surface from now on before anything goes down...Hey with that said how long of leaders did you use in the videos,what speed,and where did ya have the swivels in yer spinnies,,,,IE: front hole ,back,,,,,slower action or fast in the rear???????? and I assume the camera was at the ball ? how far back was the spinny (leader) from the ball???

Weird thing is, we could not buy a hit on the spin/fly until I changed it out a few times to the short lead (approx. 20"), and increased the speed to 2.5 down speed from 2.2.

Rigged front hole, and fly on the fins (less action). Camera fixed to weight, spinny was about 5 ft. behind weight.

Although the kings miss it a lot, it's possible that the large amount of action is what triggers the strike in the first place. Also with only a 5ft lead from the rigger ball I imagine that spinny was really spinning a lot faster and tighter than normal, since most of us run 10-20' leads.

Nick's right - There are some days when our "typical" leads off the balls and longer leader lengths won't produce. As soon as we tightened either one or both of those variables, we started taking shots. So there's definitely a lot of room for playing around to see what works best, and getting that live feed on the video will be paramount for fine tuning the program!! 8)

While it won't work underwater, an eye-fi card will store the video and upload it automatically to your laptop/smartphone every time you bring your rigger up. You won't even need to remove the card from the camera. I want one of these pretty bad, anyone want to buy it for me? :)

'>http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Class-Wireless-Memory-EYE-FI-8PC/dp/B002UT42UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340124003&sr=8-1&keywords=eye-fi

Send your pennies - only 8000 needed...

8GB is the biggest. A friend of mine is a photographer and uses it. Pretty cool - he shot the United Booty Foundation fundraiser a few months ago, with the card loading photos to his laptop, which tied into the club's video system. The screens ran almost-live photos as he shot them.

It's not real quick, if within 25ft it will be similar to transfering a 30 min video over your home wifi network. I think you need to drill a small hole in your housing and connect a wire inside, then connect it to your coated rigger cable to see if it will work like an antenna :)

Nick

Too many variables but not very fast - it depends on the real world transfer speed of your equipment and the file size for a 30 min video at your chosen resolution. A class 6 card writes somewhere between 6MB/s and 15MB/s (I've seen 30MB/s claimed) but I don't know what its transfer speed is. The wi-fi standard is up to 300MB/s but that's in a lab, dual channel and under perfect conditions. It's going to be a big file.