Question on the fishing pattern for this yr.

I have followed this board for a few yrs now and noticed typically the Salmon bite on the east end isn't good until later in the yr (mid July getting better). It seems as though this yr the bite started earlier as witnessed on our spring brown trip. Looks like there was a lul and is now picking up again. In the past I have read about better brown fishing with occasional salmon until mid July. Does this yr seem different than "normal" yrs? I'm assuming as long as the bait stays the fish will too. I wonder if the spawning run will be earlier this yr (since everything else seems to be a couple weeks ahead of schedule). I know there is always the chance that everything will "reset" to the normal time frame by providing a couple extra weeks of a particular pattern, but can you imagine if it kicks off a couple weeks early and the reset came during the late August run. Then the fish took a couple extra weeks of staging. Either way it will be interesting to see how the rest of the yr pans out. Hopefully the fish stay on the east end and everyone continues to have success.

Spike

Very good question, Spike. Everything is unfolding as if it's 3 weeks early all along the south shore. I'm thinking your Salmon will stay, with wind affecting the concentrations and feeding patterns day to day. Down west here, we often have early staging and runs tempered by low, warm water. Up east, hydro flows can trigger early runs and by the look of some of the male Kings they will be ready in late August.

I agree and disagree with Vince. The fishing this year has been phenomenal. I don't think it's just that it's 3 weeks early, it's more like the fish have just "been here" all year. Looking back at my reports for the past few years we usually start hitting salmon mid july like clockwork out of Sodus. This year... we've hit salmon (and multiple each trip) since our first time out in June. And most that were fishing in May were also hitting them.

As far as will the run be early... I don't think so. I think that's triggered more by decrease in daylight and lake cooling which should still be just like normal.

Nick

I think its the proof of a successful pen rearing program, its in its 3rd year and look we are getting 3 yr old salmon, everyone should pat themselves on the back for this program, I hate paying taxes in new York but where else can u go and have the great fishing of cold water species and warm water species and salt water lets not forget about the waterfowl the deer and Turkey, the list goes on for sportsman and women, I often thought about moving but there is no other state with the diversity outdoor enjoyment

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Sodus has the deep hole offshore to keep cold water around all year, but Oswego does not. My guess is with the blue cold water showing absent already from the east end on the NOAA site......Oswego is due for a lull with bathwater moving in. Come August, Niagara to Sodus would be my guess for Kings.

i dont like your prediction Gill-T, i like the one that goes like this, south winds all summer, stealing cold water from canada and keeping the big kings on the south shore, plenty for everyone,from niagra to salmon river. i figure my prediction is as good as the best weatherman, seeing as how they are only 50% right

i dont like your prediction Gill-T, i like the one that goes like this, south winds all summer, stealing cold water from canada and keeping the big kings on the south shore, plenty for everyone,from niagra to salmon river. i figure my prediction is as good as the best weatherman, seeing as how they are only 50% right

:yes::yes::lol: