Stalling Yamaha

guff

Maybe you guys can help me. I have a 1989 55hp 2 stroke Yamaha on a 16 ft. Alumacraft. My problem is when I shift it into gear it stalls half the time. Not a good thing at a windy, busy boat launch. Some of the things I have tried but do not seem to help are new spark plugs, new primer bulb, new fuel pump and recently switched to non- ethanol gas. I have talked to some people about it and I am thinking the ethonal gas has messed it up. I have always added marine stabil to the gas/oil mixture, knowing that ethanol gas can have some bad effects. I am coming to the conclusion that I need to have my carburator rebuilt and maybe new gas lines thanks to the ethanol. When not in gear it idles at 1100 rpm which is recommended. I hate to tie up the boat at a repair shop now (fish are biting) but maybe I will have to bite the bullet. Any thought would be appreciated.

Did you pull carbs and do a simple cleaning. Most likely that is the issue. If you want to try one more thing prior to pulling carbs, add a strong dose of seafoam to your fuel (even mix it special and run it and let it sit over night in the carbs from a small tank). That stuff works magic. It's not snake oil, it really does fix a lot of sticking and stuck carb stuff. It's also good for the rings. I have personally watched it solve rough idle and poor running snowmobiles, snowblowers, tractors, mowers, outboards, cars, trucks. It will smoke, but then you know it is doing it's job. If that does not fix it, you need to buy a carb kit and rebuild the carbs.

Thanks a bunch 180ccf. I REALLY like your suggestion. I am absolutely no mechanic so the seafoam idea sounds great. I just have a gut feeling the problem is not a really big deal. Once I get her away from the launch and warmed up, she only stalls once in a while when shifting into gear. A "simple carb cleaning" sounds good too. The fish are biting right now so may have to wait a little while for that. :)

You can run Seafoam in every tank of fuel. Do a google search on it. It's not snake oil but it sure does sound like it. I actually have 8 bottles in my garage right now (got them on sale for 7 dollars each). That stuff is like magic. I run it a lot and I store my motors with it. They make a spray called deep creep that I use for fogging the motor in the fall and on the air tools. You can add a bottle to your fuel and it will start working while your fishing. Don't hesitate it's great stuff and will never hurt your motor get started now. I think Seafoam should pay me as a spokes person.

Yamaha used to have some problems with carbon and carb problems as well. They make a fuel additive that I was told to use by Fred Seager at Seagar Marine when I bought my boat and did not. Well it started to have your symptoms and was unable to even maintain trolling speed. I bought the additive and after one tank problem solved and ran like new. I now keep it in the tank at all times. I get it at Ballentyne.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...