Hot Lure: Meat

Trolling Speed: 2.5 SOG

Down Speed:no probe

Boat Depth: 120-220

Lure Depth: 75-110

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We ran out due North and set up in 110' and trolled North to 220 and turned around and went back. I put a meat rig off of each ball, one with a 000 flasher down 75' and the other with a green e-chip down 90'. Each of those got a free slider, one NK Mag black with green tape and the other a glow frog. I then tried to deploy a 500' copper (thanks to Throbbin Rod for leaving that with us) with a Mag Kevorkian. It was about halfway out when the meat down 90 fired with a 10lb laker for the newbie we had with us. After resetting I got the rest of the copper out. As soon as that was done the meat down 75' goes, and I grab it. The fish is heavy and pulling really hard. I'm expecting a screaming run and PLINK..... slack! The drag was cranked down all the way (doh!). Rookie move. The leader broke and I lost my flasher and twinkie rig and last meat strip. I put a FF combo down to 75' again. Then I set up my first wire on a 2.5 with a white/green dot spinny and white/crush glo fly and put it back 210. Later I moved it to 260 after not getting a hit. Next up was the copper flying off the release on the planer board! Our first fish on copper. Turned out to be a little 3-4lb steelie that our newbie got to reel in.

Now for the fun part!

Meat rig fires down 90', no one home. FF combo down 75' fires and it comes back without a fly. Leader broke just behind the swivel. Reset it with new rig. FF combo down 75' fires, no one home....including the fly. This time there isn't even a swivel on the spinny.....I know I closed it before I put it out. Then the FF combo down 75 with the third fly of the night on it fires again and it goes slack right away after picking it up. Spinny comes back with a swivel and about 2 inches of flouro. It was right about now that I had to take a deep breath and look at the setting sun to remind myself that at least I was out on the lake!

IMG_20120712_202240.jpg

That's 3 break-offs in a short period of time. We dropped a teenage king right behind the boat on the meat rig. The newbie confessed that he gave it a little slack as it was coming to the surface. At least he knew what he did and learned from it.

Did I mention I tried to set out my other wire rod in the middle of all this but the wire was wrapped behind the spool and I couldn't produce a phillips head scewdriver to save my life? I tried using swivels, nail clippers, you name it! I eventually accepted the fact and left it in the rod holder. As I was resetting a rigger after a slider bite (on a mag Hawgwild) that we couldn't keep on the hook the newbie starts making noises....not yelling, no words, but eeeeehhhhh, ooooohhhhh, eeeeeeeee. I turn to see the wire rod was banging off the downrigger and had spun the rodholder around (whew, almost lost the rod). My buddy handed me the rod and I watched as the counter went from 260 to 475 real quick. After a good fight with multiple runs we boated a 22-24lb King. I think its time to put some quality dipsy rod holders on the side of the boat or at least thether them.

After that we had both riggers fire at the same time on the way back in, in about 130' but neither one had anyone home.

Headed back out this afternoon with my dad and tomorrow with some new guys for some derby fishing! Good luck to all.

Brian

394646_10150944235808716_363190759_n.jpg