Newbie looking for advice

Im new to this forum and it is awesome!! I just got a new boat about three weeks ago 20' Starcraft, 9.9 kicker. Spent Sunday morning out of Olcott and caught a couple small kings both on FF. I also had a couple dipsey's out. I don't have riggers yet but will get soon or as soon as wife let's me spend more money.

My set up was a clear and a black and purple dipsey both with Spin doctors dew crush and white chrome with Atomik flies. Two dipsey's with spoons. Either the bite was slow or I was not set quite right. I was using DW spoons in green and green and black. Any particular color spoon I should be using early, mid morning etc? I thought I was running them back off my LCD reels 140 to 200 feet (trying to change it up). My SOG on my GPS was 2.2 to 2.5 most of the time. You guys are great for sharing your knowledge and any advice you give me will be appreciated

Welcome to the addiction! Were you using mono or wire line on your dipseys? If mono, your first task willPppp be to replace it with 7 strand stainless wire. It will get your lure deeper. In general the bite was slow this past weekend. Also, until you get a probe, try keeping your gps speed around 2.8mph. In general darker lures in low light, bright lures in high light.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Stagger your depths (dispy set backs) till you start taking fish and then adjust your dispies so you are close to that on your others (dispy setting). Fish tend to go deeper as the sun gets higher and vice versa. Read the forums to gleen temp levels or check the NOAA surface/bottom charts for clues. If you have a fish finder, watch for a termocline and spread your rigs at and below the line.

All probe read a bit differently, mine is 2.2 when my GPS speed is about 3.0 to 3.1. It is usually better to err on the high side rather than the low side.

I was using 20lb mono to the dipsey and 17lb flouro leader. I was in 100 to 200 fow. I have an hds7 fish finder so I will watch for the thermocline on it. If I use wire on my dipsey rods do I need a snubber. I don't run snubs with mono because there is already enough stretch in the line. interesting what you say about err on the high side, I never would have done that. It's the old walleye fisherman in me telling me to slow it down. I did notice the lake rolled actually twice last week. I work at the Somerset plant and watch lake temp closely.