Jon's Little Salmon LSRC Mexico Bay Report 7/28

I fished on Saturday with my buddy Jon and my son Justin in the LSRC. Jon just bought a new to him boat, and had yet to take her out fishing so this would be the maiden voyage. We had no pre fish time, and really no info to speak of so my plan was to head out to 120 @ 5am and sniff around, then work out deeper.

We set lines in 120, and within 15 minutes the 150 dipsey takes a hit and Justin lands our first king @7 lbs. It hat a Big weenie Broke Back Jack fly behind a white paddle. Not what I an looking for so we keep trolling deeper. We pick up a 14 lb king on the 50 rigger pulling an NK spook and a laker on a Big Weenie meat rig on the 450 copper, then the same rig takes a crushing hit that we miss plus a good shot on the 150 dipsey that we miss also, so I decide to circle around and hit that area again....waste of 20 minutes and it produces nothing on the 2nd pass, so I continue towards deeper water. The fish we dropped was on a new Big weenie fly that I really liked called Terrible Terry...a Jon's little salmon exclusive....pretty sweat looking fly.

As we head out beyond 200, we would miss two good kings on the dipsey. we had a decent bite, so by 9am I decide we are going to stick in the bay and not head out deeper in front of Oswego as I had initially planned. Our next fish would hit our 600 copper, and we land a nice 21 lb king over 270 fow. That fish came on a gator paddle pulling a Big Weenie dominator fly. We continue to work that same area over 275 and take one more king, a 23 lb fish on a chrome paddle pulling a Big Weenie Spook fly.

We have 5 kings in the cooler and it's 10:30....not a great box but not bad with plenty of time to improve it. Then the auto pilot shuts off and we do a hard turn, which tangles my 450 & 600 coppers together along with one of the dipseys. Holy f*#k I had a mess to deal with. That takes an hour until I have things set again, but now the sub troll stopped working. Next the fish finder acts up and the auto pilot keeps shutting off. Here, we find the kicker wasn't charging the battery and our battery is dead....no main motor so we pick up early and head in on the kicker.

We ended up 28th out of 92 in the Little Salmon River Challenge...not what we wanted but it was more of a shakedown cruise than a serious fishing day. Good fun, and while the reports continue to be slow in Mexico Bay on Salmon, we seemed to have a fair bite on kings....not good by any means...but fair. IMO, temp was decent and they are coming back in the bay and it could bust loose any day now. I marked plenty of bait....so the kings will be there as long as nothing screwy happens like another hard east blow.

Not a bad report or placement! Too bad about your battery issues.

I'm headed that way Wednesday to fish the rest of the week out of Catfish Creek. Winds look like they are shifting to out of the south during that period. Of course, you never know til you get there what it'll be like. Hopefully we'll scratch out a few nice kings for our trouble. My buddy has never caught one so it'll be fun to see how he reacts when one of my 10 ft wire dipsy rods doubles up and the reel starts singing!! That can be a real eye opener for a newbie!!

Dukdog,

Looking at the forecast this week, about all I can say is I wish I was going to be there! I really expect the bay will break loose this week with the kings. Good luck getting your buddy on a big one :yes:

Rod....good job on the fish ,and you guy's placed pretty well despite all the problems. I hope the boat get's fixed quick, and it doesn't cost jon to much money. He's as nice a guy as you can meet up around the lake. ....and I hope you are right about your Mex Bay prediction! I fished there yesterday morning solo , didn't mark that much bait or fish... but did manage to go 2 for three on kings...all 3 hit spoons....no fly bites for me. Continued good luck to you and your boy's.

Choo-choo

Thanks & I totally agree...Jon is as nice as they come and I am proud to call him a friend! I think all the boat stuff is minor...just bad timing. I hope to take it out with him in a couple weeks again.

The bait we marked was out deeper....250 275....HUGE pods.

Dukdog,

Looking at the forecast this week, about all I can say is I wish I was going to be there! I really expect the bay will break loose this week with the kings. Good luck getting your buddy on a big one :yes:

Thanks Fishtails!! I'm hopping in the car in 10 minutes to head to Connecticut to pick up my buddy. Staying over at his house tonight and driving over in the AM. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as my last 2 trips saw a lot of rough water and marginal results on the fish. We should be fishing by early afternoon tomorrow if all goes well and that west wind that's predicted is kind to us!!

I'll post up the results of our adventure when I get back!! I'll be on ch 68 if anyone else is up there and wants to give me a shoot to see how we're doing!!

Sorry to hear that your tournament day was Jon's shakedown cruise as well. Sounds like you fared pretty well despite the issues. I was hoping to run into you at Jon's at some point. He told me he was fishing it with you. I follow your informative posts on this site. I've run into dukdog a time or two as well as others from this site. Usually on blow off days. Take care and best of luck to you the rest of the season.