Jump to content

8/4 Wilson trip w/ rookies

Recommended Posts

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name:




Date(s): 8/4

Time on Water: 630-730 - 2 - 630

Weather/Temp: HOT

Wind Speed/Direction:

Waves: 1-2

Surface Temp: 76

Location: Wilson





Total Hits: 10

Total Boated: 5

Species Breakdown: 3kings, 2steelies

Hot Lure: white tom mik fly

Trolling Speed: ?

Down Speed: 2.5 - 2.7

Boat Depth: 180 - 220

Lure Depth: 75 - 95 riggers - dipsys 160 - 300



I was really excited to be out on the water at 630 - weather was perfect! Unfortunately the boat decided not to cooperate :( - temperature started rising and I cut it before we got too hot. Made it back to the dock and took a trip to the Boat Doctors in Olcott. Told them the problem I was having and said he would take a look at it as soon as he could. Boat was ready before 12 - I can't tell you how much I appreciate the service that has been provided to me at the Boat Doctors - straight shooter, great advice and very fair on prices. I will be sure to work with them going forward.

So, we were back on the water and fishing a little after 2. We headed straight out of Wilson hit 100 feet and dropped the lines. Decided to ride with the waves and head west and I'm glad we did. Picked up a 10lb steelie around 230 in 180 feet of water down 85 on the rigger. He hit a magnum NK silver with an orange stripe. Good start to the day, the person I tasked with driving while I set up was having some issues keeping the boat straight so I jumped in the drivers seat for a bit. That turned out to be a mistake - I was watching the rods when a rigger popped and I couldn't get to it and my crew didn't really understand what was happening :@ . So after another refresher we were good to go. Starting trolling with the wind and it made it much easier for them to keep the boat straight. Moved the right wire back to 160 from 140 and it starting thumping, grabbed it and picked up a nice 14lb king. Got it set back up at 160 and dropped the left back to 300 and that one started screaming. Gave the rod to one of the rookies and he was in for a pretty solid fight. I was cracking up when he kept having to shake his arm out. About 15 mins later we landed a nice 23lb King.

I was happy we had a few in the boat and took back to the drivers seat to head back east to not get to far from port and let the rookies handle the rods. The rigger popped and Paul jumped right on that one and we grabbed anohter 10lb or so king. Then both divers start bouncing and taking line. I pulled up both riggers and let them work the fish. Paul end up dipping the rod down a little to low and created some slack and his was gone. We were able to get the other one in which turned out to be about a 14" steelie. Had a few more misses after that and decided to call it a day. After a not so pleasant start it ended up to be a pretty solid day! The 2 rookies hada good time and I"m sure they will be back out with me in the near future. Towards the end of the day they really started to figure it out. :yes:






Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude! So Im checkin out the daily reports, drooling over the pics of fish and wishing my trailer was ready, and I see your pics.... Not only am I jealous of your fish, but friggin Melissa got to go out and fish too!! LOL I work with her and it looks like you two had a nice day despite the am troubles... well Im sure I get to meet you sometime and glad you had some good action with the kings! Im just getting started trolling and there is so much to learn. Im sure Ill figure it out right when they are already up in the creeks!

Have a great day and good fishing!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...