Volvo KAMD-42 Diesels

Penn yan 88

Most diesels will not get down to trolling speeds without troll valves. i had a lobster boat swinging a 28x28 prop, 6knts in gear at idle. May be different on boats without a straight shaft drive but all the deisel boats I have been on needed troll valves to lower speed. On a good note if the boat you're looking at doesn't have troll valves the boat likely hasn't fished a lot of hours on the troll so the motors/tranny may be in better shape.

Spike

Mount a seperate tank and add a kicker aka 25-50hp motor. That's what I would do. assuming your rig is no longer than 34foot

Kickers look gay on trolling boats! :rofl: Not to mention they get in the way of netting hanging off the back of the boat.

I guess when a big fish to you is something we toss back to get bigger that's not hard to put a net under. Watch a King going ballistic in the back of the boat during a tourney with $25,000 on the line get into that bad boy!

Cummins are nice. I love a red engine, but a cat you can't beat. See what gives ya the best coverage for warranty.. the caterpillar marine engines from what I've read are bulletproof. What model cat would it be? Cat has the best PM options..

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

A lot of guys out our way were putting John Deere engines in their lobster boats. When I had mine built I went that route and never looked back. I had a 220hp JD in my 28 and it ran great and used little fuel. Probably not an option on the Pursuit but if it is look into them. Very good reviews from users that work them hard.

Spike