New to Ontario salmon

Hi guys n gals. I was turned to this sight from another site that I'm on (walleye.com) here on lake Erie. I'm planning to drag my boat up to Ontario next weekend and try n put the girls and a friend on some fish. I'm an avid stream fisherman for salmonoids but haven't been trolling for them since they quit stocking Erie. What I'm looking for is any reports of fish or where I should put in the lake. My friend suggested trolling the bar. Don't really care what size or species we catch. My boats also only 18 ft so lake weather wave height will have a factor on where we go. I see a lot of talk on here of lines (26,29 ect) and fishing inside? What is all that about? I have downriggers, big boards, jets, dipsys. Excellent electronics, and a good arsenal of tackle. I do a lot of walleye fishing here. Like I said before fish size really doesn't matter. The girls would be ecstatic over a few 10lb salmon/ trout. I do not own any dodgers or flashers. Might buy a couple. I have a lot of spoons and sticks. Not sure where to find cut bait rigs around here. Maybe gander? Also what are you guys using for cutbait? Sorry for all the questions. Lol I feel like a nube. Thanks in advance.

Wes

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I would suggest Olcott or Wilson for your first trip.The Bar is good but at this time of year it is combat fishing.Way to many boats.You can still fish the Bar from ether port.Olcott has a couple of good tackle shops and a great boat launch and fishing.Both ports are a little to the East.

Pick up some spin doctors as well in any kind of green pattern like gator, MTN Dew, or NBK. Run an 18 to 24" leader and a fly with matching colors.

Green Dot on white, Green Dot on chrome, Wonderbread...

Beautiful! Thanks guys. We're really lookin forward to comin up. I scoped out my local dicks and they are stocked up with spindoctors in colors mentioned and flies. Atomic and another brand. In whites, greens and tinsels. Think I saw some blueish colors too. I have a good selection of spoons. I did not see j-plugs there though. So maybe I'll grab a few up there. Bailey told me fire tiger, frog, and the white body with read head were good. Also he mention bigger shiny stick baits, which I have plenty of.

On another note. Do you guys get a lot of fish that run across the other lines and tangle everything? Walleye just come to the back of the boat while trolling lol. And from all my stream and river fishing I don't think salmon or trout are gonna give up very easily to the net while trolling. Do you stop and fight the fish out? Or just keep on ur heading ?

Side note on the flies, they looked the same except 2 things. 1) atomics had a blood red single stinger hook, the other brand had no stinger. and 2) atomics were double the price of the other brand. $8 vs $4. Otherwise same skirt design, colors, mono tied ect.

Beautiful! Thanks guys. We're really lookin forward to comin up. I scoped out my local dicks and they are stocked up with spindoctors in colors mentioned and flies. Atomic and another brand. In whites, greens and tinsels. Think I saw some blueish colors too. I have a good selection of spoons. I did not see j-plugs there though. So maybe I'll grab a few up there. Bailey told me fire tiger, frog, and the white body with read head were good. Also he mention bigger shiny stick baits, which I have plenty of.

On another note. Do you guys get a lot of fish that run across the other lines and tangle everything? Walleye just come to the back of the boat while trolling lol. And from all my stream and river fishing I don't think salmon or trout are gonna give up very easily to the net while trolling. Do you stop and fight the fish out? Or just keep on ur heading ?

Keep your set up simple 2 riggers; add 2 Wire dipsys if you think you can handle it.

When you hit a fish keep your heading and pull as many lines as you need to until you get it figured out. I know many of my clients that fish the walleye like to tighten the drag down to stop the fish from running, they are usually effective as I am sure the fish stops after the loud snap.

I'm on a budget and can't afford to switch. As it is Im dropping cash on spindrs and flies before I come up. I just can't afford two respools. Even to braid. What I was gonna do is not run the snubbers on the dipsys. What size dipsys is everyone runnin? We're staying at the lighthouse motel. Maybe I'll meet a couple of you at the marina. Can't miss my truck. Lifted ford diesel and a 18ft crestliner with a blue top. Crossin my fingers for fair weather. Any tips on where to go out of olcott? Just look for the boats? My buddy said watch the screen and head west.