newbie to salmon trolling

mm1

Hello all! I'm interested in trolling for salmon on lake Ontario, but don't have any idea what type / length rod or reel to buy. Also, don't have downriggers, but been reading that the diving discs work well.

Can anyone suggest what I should be looking to buy? I realize that I'm going to have to spend some money, but I really don't want to spend a fortune.

Any help would be appreciated.

Get 10 ft dipsey diver rods. A good one for money will be the Rapala RSC with roller guides.

Get the Okuma Convector 30D reel and spool it with 1000 ft of 7 strand torpedo wore 30# test.

Get some good torpedo swivel quick connects.

Connect a #1 dipsey diver to this. Get black or white.

Get 30 lb seagar fluorocarbon leader line. Connect 10 ft behind the dipsey and add a lure to the end. Get a few lures 4" long orange, green, blue, purple. Northern King make good colors.

Start here and then add spin doctors and flies to the arsenal next once you have got lures under control.

What mark said is good advice. But you can't buy those rapala rods in the usa. A cheaper alternative would be 10 ft eagle claw starfire, okuma blue diamond or ugly stik. Add Twilly tips. Go with daiwa sealine 47lc reels. 1000 ft of wire fits perfect. I believe the convectors need backing to get a good fit. If you dont fill the reel completely your line counter wont be as accurate. I would run 30 lbs mono for your leader between dipsey and flasher. It has more stretch (more forgiving/cheaper) than floro.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

What mark said is good advice. But you can't buy those rapala rods in the usa. A cheaper alternative would be 10 ft eagle claw starfire, okuma blue diamond or ugly stik. Add Twilly tips. Go with daiwa sealine 47lc reels. 1000 ft of wire fits perfect. I believe the convectors need backing to get a good fit. If you dont fill the reel completely your line counter wont be as accurate. I would run 30 lbs mono for your leader between dipsey and flasher. It has more stretch (more forgiving/cheaper) than floro.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

The convector 30D's fit 1000 ft of wire perfectly, no backing required. Have two of them spooled with 30 lb wire.