More Pro/Am thoughts for 2013

Just a thought

Please do not shoot...............

I have always maintained a “majority rules†type attitude and quite frankly I could never understand why any-one person or even a committee would rule otherwise, but as has happened we have come to where we stand presently.

With that in mind there are a few months to make a lot of decisions, much of this info has already been covered, but a feeling came to me that sounded important....

Let me ask a few questions, I am asking for a few important reasons.... I say important d/t the chance that if logistically the Pro/Am’s were to continue on the path they left off, without a new “entity†giving input to “those willing to shoulder†a new “Pro/Am†...then we may not have a Pro/Am at all in Oswego and Sodus, or worse case scenario one continuing like many of us came to dislike for one reason or another.

What seems very important is to cater to the most teams, namely those who have all played in the past, if you are a past AM team or even if you were once let me ask you this: Did you or do you favor which first: Do you want to win cash or rank your self? Do you want to cover costs or simply play the game? Granted we would all “like to win†whether admittedly or not the glory is something undeniably yearned for. But we already know many would opt out for several reasons and give up that chance: Rule or event structure and entry fee topping the list from what I believe. My feeling even with the fact that I have almost always been on winning teams is that even when we win 1st or place high, it almost always only covers costs at best.

Now to the Pro’s: Lets say to some of the Pro’s who have claimed that “carrot at the top†is the ultimate draw, what if we lowered the entry and created just one division (unlike what happened in 2012, we would have to create a new name as it could no longer become a Pro/Am) so we lowered entry to around $300 to $400 in hopes to draw about 60 teams. I realize with this thought we are no longer catering to the “Heavy Hittersâ€, but please ALL keep in mind, we want to cater to a Majority, even if we do not favor the opinion of those trying to make up the new rules, the ultimate goal is to grow the field.

A few of my long time and very close friends are going to be like Tom, what are you saying (as first hand knowledge tells me all the heavy hitters always want is to increase entry)...But maybe if that could draw a lot of teams (Open division stepping up, Pro’s willing to take a monetary hit in trade for a larger field, and past Am’s willing to fish against the teams “that in hopes one day they will becomeâ€. Like I said just an idea... As far as rules governing the event my opinion that I believe would favor a majority would start with mandatory observes and No Communication, the rest of the rules could then be hashed out like 9 or 12 fish? Payouts based on a hypothetical 60 teams could go like this: 1-8,000 2-3,000 3-2,000 4-1,000 5-800 6-700 7-500 8-350 9-350 10-350 This is figuring $350 entry on a privately ran 2 set series of events with just using entry monies to cover everything, of course sponsorships could enhance it all and there are also always Calcutta's for those who like to risk it all...

I have also kept in mind how in our eastern basin our small dollar 3 single division events draw from 70 to over 100 teams a year and that they have for over 5 years.

Just an idea but would love more thoughts as the time draws near to gather input to forward to “those†who may be willing to possibly help out or take over with the future of Oswego and Sodus. This will not be me, but I will be happy to forward info, and actually it would get read here as well

I repeat, please do not shoot !! HE HE HE

Tom

Tom, are those low entry tournies on your end fished out of any port? If you can, then that is probobly why entries are higher in those events.

If the pro ams go back to how it was 10 years ago, I think you and I agree that entries would go upward at a decent pace.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The thing I would really like in the AM section is a sort of festive gathering at the end of each tournament or day. In the current events many participants leave right away unless they are winners

Let the prizes be medals for all I care, but let's have a very nice catered festive meal in a tent with possibly some camera footage of some of the boats or other entertainment. Some sort of stay together party at the end of the competition with people sharing their experiences. Kind of what you see in the Little salmon, Fairhaven and of course the Oswego Challenge. Those competitions are talked about because of the positive experience they provide and the tent is full with winners and non winners alike having a great time. Tom you obviously know how to organize the A-Tom-Mik Triple Crown. If that atmosphere can be created in the Pro-Ams it would be a great success. If not, maybe we should try to expand the triple crown with one 2 day event.

That's what amateurs like!

One thing I have often noticed, the winners never have excuses to "show" when they place, but man when they don't they have every excuse in the world to leave dodge !! Sort of why I programmed my banquet the way I did for my Invitational, seems to me those same teams may not have those same excuses if they would have won :headbang: !!!

This is definitely a variable that is so unfortunate to get over-looked so often. I know first hand when you scrape up a win it sure is nice to get recognized, I think this is also why the follow-up of placements spammed on the boards and pertainant sites is so important

Great mention !!!

Tom

Tom, thanks for being pro-active. I know there are lots more perch to catch. From the the start, when something that wasn't broke, got "fixed" I have been for whatever the majority wanted. If this is the route it needs to take,(your well thought out plan) so be it.

Whatever happens, it needs to be run with your passion, vision, and sincerity. For crying out loud, people are screaming for results to be posted and they are nowhere to be found. What? Interest from current/potential players/customers, and we are turning our backs to them? Not good.

It was brought up at the informal mtg at your invitational, are we trying to erase history? When did the historical "Challenge Cup" get retired, and what bonfire did it go in? Where is it?

People need to admit the format tried last season didn't work, and return to what was recognized as prestigious, and popular.

Sounds like a great plan Tom. Grab those O town and Sodus dates and run with it. As for awards ceremonies, they have never been the same since the events were moved from Fri/Sat, to Sat/Sun, with Sun being a blow day option. This did two things, it helped avoid what was intended to be a 2 day event to have to be reduced to 1 in the case of a blow. Secondly, there was a much more "festive" atmosphere at the awards on Saturday afternoon/nite, as many of the contestants were off the next day and could trailer or move boats then--instead of rushing to beat weather or darkness Sunday nite before work Monday morning. I have heard from players from end to end of the lake, both "Pros" and "Ams" alike, that the awards need to be bolstered and more of a celebration. This is welcomed by sponsors as well.

Great job getting the ball rolling.

I was fortunate to compete in the oswego pro-am and the atomik invitatonal. I couldn't of had more fun! However, I have fished these tournaments in the past. (pro-am) and from what I have seen and heard. They have changed drastically in just the few years I have been present. I agree with the award ceremony being upped, so to speak. I ran my own tournament this past year. WOW, what a great success. And this was on Seneca. Tom, our two tournaments were alike. Maybe not in size and some rule differences, but alike in concept. We ran a small boat format of 14 boats at a $275 entry fee. $25 of it covering teams food at the awards ceremony. Everyone loved it. The invitational, same thing! Great food and great people. I would think that with the pro-am being so big that they could take the step to do the same thing or at least come close. I look forward to fishing with and against all of you in the future. I hope to see tournaments like yours and mine for a long time coming...

One thing I learned though is that YOU can NEVER please everyone....

If there is a way I could aid Ob your or any tournament organization I would love to help...

Nick.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tom I like what both you and Vinnie had to say. I do think the prize money can be the same if you get more boats in at a lower cost. I sell a lot of the pro/am's. It is easier to sell the smaller $ ones than the Big dollar ones. People have interest in the Big dollar events but when you tell the the cost they can't do it. Then top that off with oh by the way this could be a one day event or worst 2 hours? I have 2 events sold right now if things don't change with the dates. But it seems like every year it is open in the air as far as rules or are we going to have one. I remember a one day Big boy's event and no one wanted to go. I like the old blow off day and Big fish Friday can always be added to the real event. Like the LOC. People take their fish to both have another board there way in for everyone in their 3 big fish first they did something like that this year didn't take longer? As far as for the food maybe that should be after day one so everyone isn't in a rush to get back. Remember the other events are 1day.

Just a tought :beer:

• 1 month later...