New Hewes Craft 24' Alaskan

I run a 4212 as my GPS. I purchased it because I could add the radar and possible the Fishfinder functions if I needed in the future. I am intersted in the Radar function for the Garmin that allows you lock on to a target and watch there every move including direction and speed! (i.e. your fishing buddy in his boat) I would recommend stepping to the 24HD however if you really want to see incoming storm fronts as it will give you more power. I do have a friend who is running 2 4212 units one as his fishfinder and one as his GPS. I like the buttons and the screen size myself. I think the mapping software is good enough for what I use it for. Garmin will only use garmin mapping software so that is a small drawback if you are looking at different mapping software packages. I have mine fully intergrated with my Raymarine autopilot and my Furuno 585 fishfinder. I have been on a boat with the Garmin 24 fishfinder and works just fine for our application you will learn what you are looking at. Much of the negative comments on Garmin fishfinding came from the saltwater guys who were fishing over 2000ft of water. But for us it will be more then what you need. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions on the Garmin.