trailer question

thumbburn

i currently have a single axle roller trailer without brakes for my 22ft starcraft islander...i am looking at a double axle with hydraulic disc brakes on one axle............the price is too good to be true so i was just wondering the pro"s and cons of the style of brakes on this new trailer.......the only doubt i have right now is it was used in saltwater a couple of times.....bearings and races have all been replaced.......thanks for any responces

No cons that I can think of. I have owned both before and have worked on both. When it comes to servicing your disc brakes, its as easy as the fronts on your car. If you have experience in the mechanical field, nothing wrong with drums either. I would prefer disc.. I did some work on a friends trailer a few seasons ago. He burned through a set of pads/rotors in one season. However he was towing the trailer tongue to low. We replaced all components. Actuator and brake pads/rotors. He has not had an issue since. With a tandem you can expect a smoother ride... Just my two cents..

Good luck, If that deal falls through check out my trailer on the classifieds.!

Whether they are drum or disk,if they are hydraulic and activated by pressure from the hitch,they are surge brakes.

Surge brakes do fine, but be careful when backing up. Some have a backup solenoid and you can back up without a worry,others don't and you will have to get out of your vehicle to neutralize your brakes. If you don't,they will lock up when you back up.

This winter I will install electric brakes on my Islander trailer.

Below here are the legal requirements for brakes on trailers in NY State

New York 518-457-6195 http://www.dot.state.ny.us Brakes are required on trailers that weigh over 1000 lbs. / adequate brakes requires over 3000 lb GVW.

Here is a website that shows the laws for all the different states:

http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/brakelaws.htm

Investing in trailer brakes when you trailer an Islander is really saving money because your vehicle brakes will have a very short life when they have to deal with an extra 3000 pounds in motion.

Don't know about other makers, but Shoreland'r trailers with DRUM surge brakes don't need a backup lockout device (they have an internal lockout), but those with DISC brakes do. There's either a solenoid or a manual lockout, depending on model.

Pretty tough to rinse the inside of a trailer. It's what you don't see that will get you. I've put brakes on a trailer for less than $400. If the frame starts needing repairs due to rust, it will cost you alot more than that. Personally, I'd rather have a galvanized trailer even for fresh water use. Look it over real good for any signs of rust around any thru holes of bolt together pieces.

all the lights work....no mouse food...lol he told me the trailer is sound as can be.... the only kicker is i have to drive to binghamton to loook at it.........gues i will take a hammer and tap all around the frame to see if it is ok.... by the way the pictures look i dont see much wrong.....but those are only pictures.....worstcase senario i go fro a ride and come home with nothing....bestcase i get a new trailer for a great price!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I actually changed my surge brakes over to electric. Long as you don't use it in salt water you won't have any issues. The electrics are a lot more reliable and easier to trouble shoot. I bought complete backing plates with shoes for $40/each. Bought some wire from auto zone and wired up an RV plug.