new floor

jason

hello gentlemen

i want to replace the floor in my boat, i have a starcraft islander, the floor is getting weak. my question is how difficult is this going to be. when i lay the floor down, what do i use to fasten the floor down with rivites or screws. do i have to use marine plywood or can i use regular plywood and and water seal it. i was thinking about vynil floor but dont know it that will work.

just need some in put thank you

Jason,

Difference between Marine & regular plywood is the glue they use. Marine will stand up to humidity as well as an occassional "dunking." I'd recomend using marine, although it is expensive and also sealing it up really well. (ends, bottom & top)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Jason I did my 1988 starcraft center cosole 20.5' a few years ago. I was told as long as I sealed the plywood extremly well I could use regular plywood. If I did it over I'd use marine grade or aluminum. I used SS screws to hold the plywood down. Taking the floor up was a BIG pain. The way mine was put togather they put the floor down will holes drilled for the foam then fill it with foam that stuck to the wood as you were taking it up. The too bigest problems I had was the spar varnish and the glue. I didn't have a good heat soure in the barn so I had to pick my days and this drug out the whole deal. Also when you have the floor up think about any thing else you may want to do. I put in a new fish/dephth finder and a Moor subtroll 900 also some extra wires and steering cable. I knew I had some issues with the shifter but with so much to do just forgot. It came back to get me a year ago. The good thing was I put the floor down with the idea I could take up a section and replace it. So I just remove enough to do the job and put it back down. I wrapped the carpet over the edges of the ply wood to help protect them from water getting into the wood. When I was doing mine I also cut the floor a little short in the back on each side so water would not lay inside and rot the transom, I had a bad spot I noticed. I had to drill out the old pop rivets and put one hole in the bottom, I had thought about dropping the drill bit in the chuck deep and then addind some tape so I could only go so deep. Think about this step I did find the hole till next spring on the water. On my boat the only way to get to the bilge area was a pain so when I did the floor I put a section in the back that I could "pop" out to get at it easier,it better but I wish I made that some what bigger. I have a lot of picture of the it if you want I could send them or post them up.

thank you gentlemen

looking forward to doing this project. my brother whos a capenter said he will help

erabbit if you would please send pic's that could be helpful just send me a pm

drlfc pm me your phone number and ill call you on a free day

i'll let eveyone know how this turns out