Auto Pilot installation

retsey

Hello Guys,

I realize and have searched the past on this subject but just thought I would ask for your experience to see what I can learn before I install my auto pilot in the spring.

I purchased the Raymarine S1000

I have a walk-around with a removable wooden/carpeted internal panel like most. I do plan on cutting and installing the largest access (13X30") marine door to just to be able to access and inspect the pump and controller once it's installed.

What I would like to know is your experience and what you might have learned as far as the location of the components.

The instructions do a good job but there is nothing better that first hand experience of the do's and dont's.

I realize the pump should be mounted below an close to the helm but as far as the controller...is it okay to mount this near right under the boat compass by around 24". You can see the compass in the photo and I visulaze the controller being well below it by 24-36". Will this effect anything?

Keep warm and Thank you in advance

IMG_0387.jpg

You should be OK, I have my S1000 controller mounted about 12" beneath the compass in my center console and I haven't noticed any problems with either the AP or the compass. It's also mounted directly behind all the gauges and speedometer and everything seems to be fine. Looks like you will have more room to work with than I had.

The pump may be more problematic since the hoses they provide are fairly short so you can't mount it too far away from the helm unless you get different hoses made up. My pump is also pretty noisy, hopefully the newer ones are quieter.

Thank you guys and thank you mudflat.

I have done a lot of reading as everyone does and am aware of the noise from the pump.

I read the same thing about the Garmin also.

Let me ask since you have experienced it first hand. Is the kind of noise more like vibration in which this can be dampened in the way and what is used to isolate it ??? or...is the noise mainly from the forward reverse of the pump working and what might be the shuttle regulating valve working?

If the second is the case than there may not be much that can be done except maybe wrapping the pump head with some kind of isolation/noise material. But if that is done, we need to be concerned about it overheating.

On the other hand, I don't mind the noise so much because if anything you know how hard the system is working and will be able to tell by the tone if something is not working.

I'm looking forward being able to bring in fish , net and put out lines without worrying so much about the boat turning on me! I'm sure my dad will enjoy it also since he does 75% of the steering while I'm doing the rigging and setting.

The "noise" is like a deep buzzing vibration coming from the pump when it runs. It's probably a combination of the motor and the valves working. I tried insulating the hydraulic hoses and the pump itself with acoustic foam rubber and only deadened it a little. Also have the pump mounted on a rubber isolation pad.

It's probably more noticeable because of the proximity inside the center consloe and being under the top. Most of the time I just ignore it but once in a while it gets aggravating so I just put the unit in stanby to shut it off while trolling and kick it back on for setting lines or working a fish. With my setup I can easily steer manually and watch the rods.

I also have a Garmin TR-1 Gold on my PennYan and you can't hear that working at all, but that is mounted in the rear engine compartment, right next to the kicker.

In any case I wouldn't give up any auto pilot and would hate to fish without one now.