copper rigs rods

jason

I bought two 600' copper Penn 345GTi's from A-TOM-MIK. He recommends the Shakespeare 9' 0" BWD 1101 rod (6-20#). Drop him a line, or look under the other copper thread here. It's a good idea to have him mark the copper every 100' for reference.

look on page #2- http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewtopic.php?t=3455&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

No Twilly's or rollers on the rod- just ensure all the guides are like new. Tom spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me before I made my purchase. Great Fly combo's as well ;) I bought his Plano box w/ tubes and filled it with 32 flies on his color selection.

I know a lot of guys, including myself, using the 9' Daiwa Dipsey Diver rods and they are working very good. Retail on them is 29.99, so it does t hurt the pocketbook as bad as the reels and copper. I also reccopmend ATOMIK for the reels and copper. Definatley make sure he marks it for you.

I hear a lot of guys saying they want a couple of set-ups.....if you dont plan on running them outside your spread with boards you can get by with 1 600' reel. If marked every 50' you can run it down the cute and put it right in the strike zone.

• 1 month later...

While we're on the topic of rods for copper setups, I have a question. Aside from the visual differences, are there any benefits to using a roller guide rod to a standard guide rod? I know the rollers are more money, but is the added expense going to get me anything? Will the standard guides hold up to the copper being pulled across them over and over? I'm adding a copper setup to my arsenal this year. Already have a reel, just need a rod. Thanks for everyone's input.