Want to try fishing Lake Ontario this year

citycop

Thinking of trailering my MAKO up to the lake to do some salmon fishing. What is usually the best time to fish for them? I fish Erie for steelhead/lakers/ walleye regularly just never made the trip except for a charter years ago out of Olcott.

Is the Newfane /Olcott Marina a good place to launch/moor for a weekend trip. How far of a run is it to where the salmon are?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Olcott is my home port. There isn't a port on the lake I'd rather fish out of from late June - mid August, though Oak Orchard would be a close second. I keep my boat slipped in the Town of Newfane Marina, but they also have just about the nicest launch ramps on the lake.

In the summertime, it is not a far run at all for the fish, and they can normally be found in 60-200 fow which is less than 2 miles offshore. I usually run out to 60 fow, set down and start trolling on a NW heading as I set lines.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Tim

Never A bad time to fish this lake!! Spring time time kill the Browns, Coho's, and maybe even A King as i caught my first King last year in March!! Summer till Fall the biggest Kings on the great lakes cant beat it! Just be carefull because once you come back and do it break out the wallet because it's like CRACK you just can't get enough!! ;)

Thank guys. My trip is looking more like early May. I usually hit the lakers at Erie around around mid April. If I go then should I be optimistic of hooking into a salmon at that time? I will gladly accept a brownie too. Are there any special tactics to use, or is the dipsey , rigger and occasional planer that I use on Erie. I figured on using my DW and Michigan Stinger spoons.

How deep do you usually find the fish early spring , and summer?

The last time I was up we stayed at a hotel in Lockport. Are there any closer to the Newfane Marina?

Yes this can be very addictive. My other addiction is offshore tuna fishing out of OC,Md. so I know what you mean.

Thank you for the help.

Definitely should be kings around Olcott in early May was well, though it kind of depends on the wind direction. In the spring you look for the warmest water available and a couple days of east wind will push the water and fish west towards the Niagara Bar and possibly into Canadian waters on the other side of the river. You'll have plenty of company that time of year whatever port you fish out of as the spring LOC derby will be going on (May 3-12) so if there are kings around, you'll know where they are :)

dipsys, riggers and lead cores off of planers will be good presentations that time of year. Spoons work great in the spring.