New guy for the St. Lawrence / Lake Ontario area.

Hi everybody.

The 2 old guys & 1 grand son in a 18 1/2' bow rider.  220 hp V 8 to run for it . It handles 3'  waves fine.

We want to fish within site of land. We will be doing the launchs from Cape Vincent, N Y.  Will start about May 25.

What can we expect in the river mouth and along the USA lake shore line? Our trolling will be with the small Dipsey Divers to get down.

Any advice will help the grandson smile. Perch are great. Anything larger is a plus.

Thank you

Rich

Not sure how much fishing you've done and trolling in particular but you may want to closely look at a lot of the stuff that has already been posted on here according to the species you are going after. If it is perch you are after trolling dipseys is not the usual or most effective way to get them although occasionally they can be caught this way. They are primarily caught either using live bait drifting or anchored, and jigging with live bait or jigging plastics using light tackle with 4 pound test mono. For trout/salmon on the other hand the small dipseys will work ok in the Spring in shallow with small to medium sized flutter spoons (large stickbaits (e.g. Rapalas etc.) don't work great with the smaller dipseys, but for the salmon you should be set up with medium to heavy equipment in the way of rods and reels and line (12 lb to 20 lb test). You should also have sturdy rod holders or at the least use safety lines on your equipment. As for the trolling I am wondering whether you will be using the 220 hp motor for it exclusively because usually that sized motor is not optimal for trolling speeds and if doing it for extended periods your plugs/engine components are likely to foul up. In terms of getting the grandson into some fish I'd head the boat up wind and then DRIFT back along the shoreline with the wind in about 10-25 ft. of water using live minnows, a worm harness, or jigs and plastics for perch just "ticking" tyhe bottom along the way (and an occasional smallmouth to be released until season opens in June :>) Good luck with it.

The earlier you can get up there and fish the better.  I fish out of Chaumont bay and catch a good amount of walleye, perch, and salmon.  If you want PM me and I can shoot you in the direction for any of the above mentioned fish.  If you wanted to fish the Isthmus at the northwest end of chaumont bay in mid to late march you could pick up some walleye and browns it really depends on the temps.  If they stay low they will all be in shallower and vise versa if it warms up.