What type of grease should i use? Steering component.

Kuba

What type of grease should i use? It is a Mercury 50hp 2 stroke engine if that matters. Time to get the boat ready for the water:)

post-151057-0-45034700-1363116859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kuba

Use marine grade grease. As told to me by a marine master mechanic who also uses it in trailer hubs. It is available at Walmart and costs similar to automotive (find it in automotive section-lubricants), but holds up to water better and is not black (bluish green).

Will do!

I thought of using wheel bering grease, but stuff that's withstands water better makes more sense. I'm assuming my steering is mechanical and not assisted?

Use Mercury or Quicksilver 2-4-C grease. Comes in a tube for propellor shaft or stick for grease guns. It's what Mercury calls for. Just make sure you have the rod fully retracted inside the housing before you grease it or you could hydraulically lock the rod.

I'm replacing my steering now and would recomend if you can remove the steering rod from the tube. Clean off both the rod and the inside of the the tube. I'm using a section from a shot gun cleaning kit and a drill for the inside part. Then lube inside place rod back in lube with grease gun then tighten every thing back up.........lot more work BUT ......