planning for canada

Gator

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that the LOU community might be able to help with an off-topic question.

I'm soliciting some advice on a Canadian fly-in lodge for a (gasp) soft-water trip this summer. We'd like to do the traditional walleye/pike thing, but with a chance to jig for lakers, as well.

There's no way to pick a decent place using the web; everywhere's the best...just looking for any advice based on personal experience, either positive or negative. Please feel free to pm me. Location and cost aren't as important as good service and decent fishing.

Thanks.

Gator

I have done one fly trip into Canada, and it was to The Gouin Resivour in Quebec. I don't even know if that outfitter is still open, but this one outfits out of Gouin and one other lake.....http://www.tamarac.ca/

I'd definitly throw a recommendation towards Gouin......absolutly huge pike and good walleye fishing. One guy from our group caught a pike that was 54". Lots of fun and great fishing! I'd suggest not going up north till the second week of June or later. Going before than could result in you being eaten alive by the black flys.......and that ain't no fun at all!

Went last spring with Air Melancon. I doubt you will find a better operation. The fishing the cabins, the people are all great. We went in late may just as the season opened. We caught plenty of walleye and a few pike ... no lakers where we were (Bae Du Nord). We were a little early to slaughter the walleye but we caught plenty of fish. It sounded like early July was prime. We have friends that have gone there in the last few years in Aug. & Sept. & raved about it. You are treated very nicely and the camps are very comfortable. More water than you can ever fish with expert guide service if you want (good idea for a day). I have lots of photos and the e-mail address of the caretaker/guide at the outpost we used. If you are interested, send a PM. Here is there link for the outfitter:

http://www.airmelancon.com