This should be of interest to salmon fishermen everywhere!

Yesterday my wife, daughter and I attended the world premier of an important documentary (entitled: "We Can't Eat Gold") by friends who are young film makers who have lived in Alaska and have been extremely touched by the plight of the Native Americans living there dealing with a proposed gigantic strip mining venture currently before the Federal Government (Obama) for review at this time.  These Native Americans (and the salmon) are being royally screwed over and their whole lifestyle and their own very lives and those of their children are being placed in grave jeopardy by the mindless greedy concerns of big mining business. They basically have little voice other than this documentary to get the word out to hopefully gain the support of the public who are for the most part totally unaware of this situation. I told Josh ( the film makers Josh Tucker and Gigi Marcantonio ) about LOU and that many good hearted, conservation minded people frequent this site from all over the country (and world for that matter)  and noted that everyone should be made aware of this because if this stuff can happen in the very heart of the Pacific salmon spawning grounds (Bristol Bay Alaska) variations on it could happen anywhere to the salmon. I seldom take up "causes" or "plug" anything but the concerns expressed in this video and by these young people (excerpts are on the You tube segment) are truly touching and the folks in this video are very REAL PEOPLE with very real fears - and greed is at the root of the threat to them and as importantly to the very existence of the salmon themselves (as well as a $300 million dollar commercial fishing industry). Please take a few minutes to take a look at the video "snippets" and hopefully offer them support in their efforts. Thanks. Les

Their website is: http://wecanteatgold.net/

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...