X4 transducer mount

CaptSpike

Last August my other speed temp unit died on a trip I took to lake O. Out there I bought a X4 and installed the transducer on a piece of wood and clamped the wood to the transom to get me thru the week.

This yr I want to install the transducer however I was thinking I don't want it to be installed typical, even with the bottom of the boat. While using the unit last yr  it wasn't even close to the bottom of the boat and the unit worked fine, save for surface speed which is sent by the wheel on the transducer. I don't really care about that speed as I have a speed wheel and gps speed on my fish finder. Does anyone see why I shouldn't cheat the X4's transducer above the bottom of the boat so it isn't at any risk of hitting anything? My trailer has dual bunks and they are just about where I figure to mount the X4 transducer. Cheating it up would also eliminate any worry should the boat be loaded off center (supports stick out from back of boat about an inch or so).

Thoughts?

Spike

Mine is installed correctly.  If your running on plane (and the backend rises out of the water), sometimes I will get false readings because of air bubbles.  I imagine this could be worse if you try to "cheat" it up, you may find it does not read correctly.

There is no need to be too precise about a transducer that is only used at trolling speed . Just make sure that it is looking straight down and make sure that the edge of the transom does not interfere with the cone.