Spring Open Water Steelhead Tactics

Looking for help with targeting spring Steelhead. I normally stay close to shore and target Browns this time of year but I would like to change it up and specifically try for Steelhead a few days this spring. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I fish out of Fairhaven.

Good luck to all.

If you see how few Steelhead entries for steelhead in the spring LOC derby you might want to target Lakers instead.  Because Steelhead are spawning in creeks into May, there are very few in the system to catch.  Steelhead fishing starts taking off in June out in 300' ++ of water near the surface esp. with a good bug hatch.

We don't see many Steelies until Late May usually. Once they start flushing from the Salmon River, Genny, and the Niagara River they will find the temp breaks on the surface out over open water. Split shot rigs, short cores, and flat lines all work well. Brightly colored lures really get their attention. The East end, unfortunately, isn't know for it's Steelie fishery over open water. Not saying you can't get them going, but if you want to have fun with Steelies come West end of May-beginning of June for surface bites. The rest of the Summer you can chase them offshore with ease. Good ones too!