Daiwa 47H Reel with Copper

I don't think it'll work. Perhaps Atomik Tom will chime in here but, in my experience, you won't get all that on a 47H. I use 47H's for my rigger rods and 5 color cores. With 5 colors of core I can only get about 200 yards of backing---at that's with only 50 yards of core. Of course, if you went with a superbraid backing and maybe not as much you "might" be able to do it.

A 330GTI would be a better bet though.

I do not see that happening with a 47, you would be better with a penn 330 like was suggested or a Shimano Tekota 700. I am not sure what the Okuma number is, but I know they have a reel that will work also, if you use okumas. I think the new Accudepth Plus 57 will work with a 300' section of copper. I have not seen one yet, but looking at the size on the site it should be ok.

Rich

I spoke with Pete Lahosky last weekend before his seminar at Cabelas and asked about copper and the Daiwa 47 reels, because they are what I have on all my rigger rods. He said I wouldn't get a lot of copper on the 47's. The spools just aren't large enough. He suggested the Okuma Convector CV55L or the Penn 345GTI. The CV55L will hold 400' of copper with the required backing, while the 345GTI will hold 600' if spooled properly.

Used them off big boards on occasion but never actually had any great conditions when the Kings were up higher to run them faithfully, did manage a few Brownies after some half hearted attempts, Kings out of O town are usually deeper in the water column. Had thoughts on trying a few comparable rigs as SWR just never gave them an honest shake. Also wanted to see what we could actually get on the 47s due to the popularity of that reel through the years and the many that would often ask "Hey, can I just use my older 47H's and load them up with .037 copper?"

Tom