Today I took my son for his first salmon trip ever.We did cod fishing on Stelwagen bank and striped bass in Cape Cod bay. Cod fishing is done with 80 pound mono or braid and striper fishing with 50 pound single strand monel wire. This was his first time with 20 pound test for fish that often weigh more than 20 pounds.Half an hour into our trip, in 80 foot of water we set a rigger 30 feet down with a chicken wing and I started setting the second rod when # 1 fired.I figured it was a brown and I asked my son to bring it in.Then the reel started making that beautiful sound of a fish going the other wayand my son complained about the slip being too loose.To make a long story short,the fish came close to the boat twice and twice it turned around and peeled of 120 feet  of line. When it finally was in the net we saw how big it was and I pulled my scales out. It weighed in at 25.8 pounds. Not bad for a first salmon ever and on 20 pound line to boot. He went on to catch a twenty pounder and a fifteener. I got a consolation 5 or 8 pound coho for every one of his monsters. We ended up 6 for eight with 4 on the chicken wing.

Another great day on lake Ontario.post-142241-0-16328700-1369771301_thumb.jpg

Edited by rolmops

That fish was a monster, congrat's! We talked to you guy's as we were heading out for the trip back to Syracuse. We did 3 nice coho's and one King about 18 pounds for our first ever trip out of Olcott. Beautiful marina and scenery out of that port, looking forward to coming back next spring. Will start hitting Oswego area heavy now. Good luck and safe sailing to you this year!