It was time again for my once a year trip with my brother in law from Mass.

We left the river around 05.30 and headed north. Over 100 feet we started marking bait ,but hunting for salmon we moved out to 150 feet and set up with an empty screen. There was some sort of thermocline setting up around 45 feet of water where the temps dropped from 56 to 43.5 within 3 feet and a 56 degree surface temp. We trolled due north with one dipsy on a 2 setting with 320 foot out with spin doctor and fly and the other with a greasy chicken lure ( a big chicken wing) 135 foot out. One rigger out at 70 and the other at 40 and one 8 color and a 6 color core on the riggers.Going out  to 175 feet ,the deep dipsey got hit and we had a screamer on. I gave it to my brother in law and made sure to set the clutch a bit looser than I normally would (for added spectacular effect) After 20 minutes we had a nice 22 pound salmon and an utterly happy B. I.L. on the boat. We trolled farther north picking up a few juvenile kings. When we came to 325 FOW I saw this beautiful scum line with steelies sucking bugs on the surface. I can only assume that it was the extension of the Niagara river. Anyway from here on we criss crossed the scum and raised the riggers to 40 and 25. There we caught and released about 25 steelies within 3 hours. Most were in the 6,7 pound range but a few were in the low teens. While this was happening,the deep disey fired once more but after a short fight that one came off. One time one of the riggers fired but the release was still on a salmon setting so the line stayed stuck in the release and we lost that steelie. The hot lures were chicken wings and glow froggies  both dream weaver SS.

All in all a great day. Specially because ,although it was very foggy in the morning,the thunder storms passed us at a good distance both east and west,while we stayed dry, give or take a sprinkle or two.

We talked to Shake and Bake a few times and gave him what information we had and they too did very well.

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops