copper knots and releases

i just pullrd the trigger on a copper set up at the slippery sinker......convecter55 with 500ft power pro backing and 300 fott of copper all set to go..... he told me just to check the knots before i deploy them cuz he didnt set it up.....it came that way all rigged..........question is..............allbright knot to connect to everything???....i just want to make sure before i set i out and then loose everything because i didnt dbl check the knots.....wes stressed"dbl check the knots"..........also......i have heard about putting rubberbands in the releases when you put them to your otter boards.....just wondering ................thanks for the comebacks:)..........

A lot of folks have had break offs with the Albright and use the haywire knot instead on the copper to leader section and then either shrink wrap it or use  a small amount of clear hot glue on it to prevent potential unraveling or fraying. Backing to copper -small inline swivel. No matter what you do you should TEST out the knots because if you haven't tied them yourself...they could have been tied incorrectly despite their casual appearance to the naked eye.

Edited by Sk8man

From experience, I'd immediately replace both knots with inline swivels.  Use a haywire twist with shrink wrap on the copper and whatever knot you prefer to attach the backing and leader.  Slippery sinker has the inlines and shrinkwrap.   I've had albright knots fail on copperr too many times.

Deploy the copper then half hitch one or two rubber bands on the braid hook the loop or loops to the release ( we use large Scotty ) and send it out . Albright to the backing . Copper haywire swivel add your leader what ever knot you like . Good luck 300 is a good choice.

should i have ordered the heavy #3........he said the #3"s would be fine and the heavy ones might not fit through the levelwind guide on the reel......................    just realy want to do this once.....mainly a weekend guy if that matters at all

You'll be fine don't worry about it....sometimes we make it sound like "rocket science" and it isn't. As long as it goes through the level wind you'll be OK. Depending on the reel even that can be dealt with sometimes..I've opened the level wind opening with pliers  to accomodate swivels in the past on Daiwa 47H's and even taken them off on Seth Green Penn rigs because the wire cuts into them. :)

I'm not sold on the rubber bands. Have had an awful time getting them to bust and release. Not all fish are 20 lb kings. Ended up making some out of alligator clips some chunks of hydraulic hose,insulators and shower curtain hangers. These work great even in heavy water. Just my opinion.