terminal swivels

What size swivels do you guys use on the terminal end when attaching to a spoon, when fishing steelhead or kings? Does the larger size of the heavier swivels have a negative impact even if you're down 60+ feet? I know we use small ones for browns, and large ones with F/F, but I'm wondering what size for spoons on the rigger rods. Thanks in advance

It depends somewhat on the brand you buy as there is some standardization but not totally. I used to buy the Spro black ball bearing swivels but no longer do as I had some give way and the rings are soft and bent...their inline swivels are good. I've used the Premium quality solid ring black ball bearing swivels from Cabela's for a long time without problems. The split ring ones suck. With that said I use the numbers 2 and 3 for the most part. Size 2's for browns and Finger Lakes fishing and 3's on Lake O for salmon and trout for downriggers, leadcore, and thermocline rigs (Finger Lakes) and sometimes 4 or 5's for heavier stuff (dipseys, copper).  Sometimes manufacturers include the physical size information as well, but often just the numbers are used and they may not always be of equal size for different manufacturers. Here is an example size chart for general reference  though.

I forgot to mention I use small duo locks on them ....sorry about that. Thanks Don

post-145411-0-03089900-1373493791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

The above swivels would be used to join two lines togeter. I thought you were looking for a snap-swivel to attach the lure with. If that is the question, I use round bend snap swivels (not the V shape) from Cabellas. Premium grade cross lock 1 1/4-1 1/2 inches long. Wire strength needs to be heavy for kings.