Drag line out on down riggers vs free spool

Does either one have more of an effect on the reels life expectancy? Putting it on free spool n using your thumb for tension vs using the drag system.... Also does turning the sound down effect it at all? I have been dragging them down but not sure if its best for the reel

Penn manuals recommend you don't leave the clicker on when reeling in. In free spool I engage the clicker to lower the downrigger ball to prevent backlash and when deploying dipsy's, it makes sense to loosen the drag and just let the line creep out with the clicker on. I must admit though, I don't always remember to turn it off when I have a fish on. Perhaps the more experienced guys will chime in here but when setting your drags, I think lighter than tighter is the way to go.

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/manuals/310_320_320gt2_330_340_345_321.pdf (page 4)

Suggest you never free spool. Very light drag with no clicker.  Tighten drag just enough as you're putting some tension on the line to bend the rod over.  Then put clicker on.  Fish hits then grab rod & clicker off.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 3 weeks later...