Setting up leadcore rod

The downrigger rod should work OK but depending on how much leadcore you intend to use (say 10 colors = 300ft plus backing) you will need some capacity on the REEL  All you need is 18 or 27 lb leadcore not the heavier type which takes up more space but doesn't give you any significant sinking ability.

Edited by Sk8man

I use 27  lb test leadcore with 30 lb Big Game mono for backing and it works fine. I use a17 -20 lb fluoro leader of various lengths but use 10 or12 lb in the Spring prior to the flea fest. It is the one thing I don't use a Spro barrel swivel for in between. I thread the mono up through a 2 1/2 to 3 inch section of the  the sheathing of the leadcore (lead removed from the section first) and tie a half hitch knot in it to prevent it from slipping back through.

Edited by Sk8man

It is possible if the swivel is very tiny (# 8 or10 Spro power swivel for example) if it goes through the rod tip and eyes  but the problem is tying the leadcore side of it because the knot itself won't go through most eyes, it is almost impossible to get the leadcore through the eyelet of the barrel to tie it) and most barrel swivels won't either if you go bigger sort of a catch 22....IF you are only going to use a short leader say about 6 inches shorter than your rod length you can use a larger barrel as long as you aren't expecting it to come through the tip...it is still pretty clumsy as far as the knot though...lead core is notthe most fun stuff to tie. Another thing with barrels isthat often the little ones will clear the tip and eyes and then hang up on the level wind guide...for reels like the Penns,and older Diawa's for example you can widen the aperture of the line guide to make it work but with some of the newer reels with narrower and reinforced apertures it is not possible (or advisable).

Edited by Sk8man

It is also possible to go deeper than the 50 ft or so if you add in line weights (sinkers) to the leadcore and depending on speed less leadcore can be used as well with weight to get down but it is harder to tell where your lure is running.

The rod and reel setup you have will work fine ... I run the 18 pound leadcore works fine and this sink rate does not vary from 18 pound to 27 pound... Sk8man described everything right but instead of your swivels to connect it all together just use an albright knot ( lots of videos on youtube on how to tie them) its more economical in the long run and you don't have to pull any lead out of the core to tie it.... I have found with the swivels in the past they get hung up in the level wind or tip of rod when letting it out and reeling it in .... Give that knot a try ... One of the best knots I have ever learned and use it more often then you think for connecting all your different cores coppers monos braids and fluros together....

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Yeah it will be fine.... just give yourself a bit of backing and then if you ever want to you can run it off an inline board off the side.... I like a 30 ft piece of 14 lb fluorocarbon for my liter... if you go to Ontario up your liter poundage but in the finger lakes the stealthier the better...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 months later...

Hi, my name is AlanP. and I'm late to the fishing scene, not starting till my 50's. I wish I had taken my friends advice and got my fishing gear while single. He told me to buy as much as possible for fishing before getting married, to which I replied that I don't fish, to which he replied "oh you will". He was right.

As Tim Bromund mentioned above, I'd choose the Willis knot over the Albright for lead core, especially since you're using bulkier 36lb core. The Willis will be smaller than the Albright because the core is removed for the Willis; this means the Willis will pass through your guides and level wind more smoothly than the bulkier Albright.