2013 what did you learn?

justtracytrolling

Thought it might be fun to discuss some of what we learned this year good and bad.

Fishing is expensive-  things break, get lost, dropped overboard, planer board releases must be disposable, gear needs to be upgraded/fixed and if you want people to enjoy themselves with you  you have to let it go...its only money and you have to accept this or it will ruin trips.

There is no absolutes- no matter how "on pattern" you are everyday is different and things change fast...its good to have a plan, but a back up plan or plans is better

Work your lines regularly-  you cant sit idle dragging lures around...it keeps everyone busy and helps pass time while keeping you involved...its seldom possible to keep lines clean for long

Don't assume your guests know how to work your gear even if they have their own

CHECK YOUR TACKLE-  leaders fray, split rings open, hooks get dull and straighten, drags can get tightened inadvertently, clickers need to be on, big fish test tackle!

Try to tie all knots ahead of time, but if you have to re-rig better do it yourself

Stay calm- I need to work on this, guests mistake your excitement, people can't follow direction when you are loud

Fishing is always slow right until it isn't

If you take kids regularly you will learn- nothing tests your ability to put fish in the boat better than having a child on the rod, there is a big difference between what will work for you and what will work with any guest

A child leaving the dock with a baseball hat on doesn't always return to the dock with it

Raingear is a must for EVERYONE

Large, wake producing, boats will pass closest to you for no apparent reason whenever your riggers are up and you are trying to get lines out 

What makes a fishing spot yours is getting there first!

Its not just about the fish

It doesn't matter how many you caught yesterday

If you talk to enough fisherman you will be misled 

The best lesson I learned this year is that if you are wondering if you better get off the lake due to weather you have already waited too long.  No fish is worth it!  This also applies if you are wondering if you should go out due to weather....

All fisherman are liars except you and I and I'm starting to wonder about you....lol

I had great time this season on the water and on this forum glad I could get to know some of you and hope to get to know more of you in the future.  IMy last boat trip will be Monday.  Time to bring JUSTRACYTROLLING home for the winter.

Thanks Tim for the coffee every morn and all the work you put in with me.  Without your help I wouldn't have caught near as many fish.  You are the hardest working fisherman I've fished with. 

Justin

Nice read.   I am getting my heart checked ,  Lost a friend,heart,   My fishing partner had to have 5 stints.  How in Hell did I get to be the healthy one??  Always expect the unexpected!!

Great post Justin         .Dave - I can relate. My best buddy died right in my office after we went out to lunch. He was 48 years old and his heart "blew up"...nothing could be done. CPR the whole9 yards.  . I had to work there 2 more years  seeing his image every day I went in to work...I retired after2 years of it. We worked and fished together....just have to remember the "good times" I guess.

Thanks for bringing me along Justin! I may be the hardest working fisherman you ever met , but you absolutely hands down take the "most obsessed walleye angler on the planet" honors!

The amount of $ spent, gas burned , hours not sleeping so you could fish, I doubt there is too many that are AS committed to being successful as you are!

The knowledge we both gained by working together paid out well!

I learned that just cuz other people don't do it that way(walleye fishing) , doesn't mean it cant be successful!

AND

Walleyes don't care for Beyoncé! :lol:

Tim

Tim,

I thought everybody trolled 3-4 mph for eyes! You mean im doing it wrong! Maybe I should leave the boat in and learn the proper way. LOL And didn't you learn something about needing rod holders if you are trolling too fast.

Pap,

You better leave the ladders to us professionals...though I cant wait to get outta the business so I have time to fish seriously! LOL

Dave, I'm sorry for your loss. You are right about the unexpected...but without it we'd never catch the big ones.

Les,

If I have to have a trolling fix you'll be my first call. Id like to catch one of those bows you have trained to bite.

justin

Justin,

We'll get out there one of these days again  when the wind isn't up like when we cancelled on Seneca. I look forward to it too. In the meantime...best of luck with the hunting :)  Les

Edited by Sk8man

A child leaving the dock with a baseball hat on doesn't always return to the dock with it

Justin

At first I was using a foot long piece of shoe lace with aligator clips on both ends, in case my hat wanted to fly away. It worked very good. Just clip it to the back of the hat and your t-shirt

Im 1-2 on marking the spot on gps and circling back! lol  Some hats sink!  My boat doesn't go fast enough to need a tether...both kids were leaning over the side, despite my requests, and gravity took over.  Circling back takes time when you are running 9 lines.  Good tip though...we used to do that downhill skiing by tying it to the hat and the tag of what we were wearing. 

Quote of the year on my boat..."this is way better than playstation"   Kids really put things in perspective.  Make sure you get em out there they are the future of fishing!

justin