Elk Outfitter Recommendations

Hookedup

Just checking to see if anyone has gone on a good hunt out west that they would recommend. Always have done it myself but I'm limited on vacation time now so might use an outfitter. I've always hunted Colorado but I do have three preference points for Wyoming that I have purchased the last three years. Thanks Sean

Check out Thunder Ridge Outfitters.  I did a drop camp for antelope with them and immediately decided to do a drop camp hunt with them for elk.  I also have have 3yrs worth of preference points in WY now.  These guys are a small, affordable operation and they are just genuine hardcore hunters who like to help people have a once in a lifetime experience..  Their trophy room is proof of that.  The drop camp couldn't have been better, and the results of their guided hunts are plastered all over their website.  I'd look into them if I were you.  Ron and Randy are a couple of great guys and I'm sure you'd be happy.  They are great at communicating before the hunt to make sure everything is in line, they help with choosing the right unit(s) when it comes to application time, and they have all the bases covered when it comes time to hunt. 

We just paid for a drop camp, but when we realized that having a GPS unit with the BLM vs. private land boundaries uploaded on it was going to really help Randy just gave us his.  He spent the week hunting for himself and doing a little guiding but would stop back in to see how we were making out and offer suggestions/share stories.  He didn't have to do any of that. 

http://www.thunderridgeoutfitter.com/

Brian

Hey Sean, consider a muzzle loader hunt. Early season so lots of elk are still on public land and still bugelling. You won't have to worry so much about those freak early snow storms either.

i lived in CO for a few years.  i always did diy hunts. always saw elk. archery ,muzzle loader would be my recommendation. if you have the cash, help is great.  the co ranching for wildlife tags are a fantastic value. bad things can happen quickly in the west. no shame in having someone provide assistance.  hauling elk without horses can be agonizing labor.  a good wall tent is worth the $.  good luck!  wish i could afford a hunt out west.  i'm hoping to set up a grouse camp with my wall tent this fall for a few days.  the weather during rifle is very unpredictable.