Winter fishing ?

BALLS DEEP

Is there any way to use an I/O during the winter time if I strictly run off my kicker? For example is there a way to seal up my lower unit so no water gets inside?

If your boat is about 20 years or newer the shutters in the y pipe should keep the water from backing up into the manifolds, then like the post above said, the water will drain out. The y pipe is part of the exhaust system, and on each side of the y pipe there is a shutter, which is designed to keep the water from backing up the exhaust when backing your boat a little to fast or when you are on the water and it's a rough day and waves are rolling against the back of your boat it does not block 100% of the water so I would leave out the drain plugs in the exhaust manifolds just for safety sakes.

PM Ray K he used his all winter long and ran the main motor , think he just lower motor and pulled the plugs , drank a cup of coffee or two , to give it time too drain out good , raised it back up and drove home............ but I'm not 100% sure .

You can use it all winter,just drain the block and manifold when you get out of the water.

You cannot take it out  on the water and then shut if off while running your kicker,because the water in the block may freeze.

If you have a heat exchanger you can run the engine with anti-freeze in the block but you will have to drain the raw water side of the exchanger when you are done.

You must trim the lower unit all the way down when draining. If you keep it up water may freeze in the lower exhaust housing which will crack the lower unit.

Tell us if you catch a salmon in January!

When I had my 18fter it had a 4cyl I/O in it I used to fish all winter with it, snowing, cold below freezing all day and I used the main motor, when done at the end of the day, I only had 2 drains to contend with one on the exhaust manifold and one on the block both were on the same side. I just pulled the engine cover and took the plug out of the exhaust and open the pet cock on the block, lower the out drive down, till I had the boat strapped to the trailer all the water was out raise the outdrive to the up position till I got home lowered the out drive down, till next time, never had a problem. Now I have a 22ft with a 350, mercruiser, Whole different animal when done I fill with RV antifreeze and put it away till spring, I completely rebuilt the motor and outdrive and now that I know what it costs to replace if it froze. I probable never would of done what I did with my 18fter.  

• 2 weeks later...