Oneida 11/3

315angler

Went up to Oneida to see how things were going.  Got there at 5 and caught 2 fish right as the sun was going down 5:22 and 5:27.   They smashed the lure and fought like smallies.  It was nice to get that at Oneida, usually they're like reeling in a lump of weeds.  Stomachs were full of minnows when I cleaned them.  If anyone can get out of the woods, the dusk bite is pretty hot up there.

What size sticks are you guys using? IMO bigger the better....trolling up there i use 9's and 11's, but in fall id think the 13's and even 18's would get you the big girls as im sure there has to be some bigger fish.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Id be casting too this time of year, but if you have an f13 wouldn't hurt to throw it a few times when you know they are biting. In the Susquehanna we jig with 2.5 inch gulp often, but in the fall even if they are feeding on small minnows the largest of the fish can be caught with bigger bait. I know there are plenty of 3-5 pounders in Oneida because ive caught em. You might be surprised...

Justin

I agree, Oneida has been on fire for me as well. Saturday nite I landed 10 or more fish , and missed or lost that many in 2 hours fishing. Sunday nite was much slower , only managed one. Last night pulled another limit quick after trolling for pike, in less then an hour.

Go to lures remain the shallow shad rap, small xraps, and the new hot lure is the xrap shallow shad. Try it you will be suprised.

I used to use bigger sticks, but 2.5" to 3.5" work best for me. The shad I'm finding in there stomachs measure 2 to 3" generally.

Justin is correct, there are more bigger fish in Oneida then people think. I think it's easier to target large fish by trolling though.

They are getting fat quick though, I weighed a 20"er the other night at 3lbs 10oz. Not exactly an otisco fish, but still tasty.

Also let me add, for the guys who drive a ways. It's almost worth the drive As long as its not dead calm. Yes, the first hour after sundown can be phenomenal, but it's not the only peak time every night. So if you can't make it then don't worry. Historically I do best later on in the evening, when the second wave of fish comes in.

Here's a pic that shows the size of the shad they are concentrated on:

walleyefillet.jpg

If those minnows that you got out of there stomach are what they all are feeding on, then that's the size bait I would use. I found that on lake Ontario when the walleye are finicky when we troll harnesses, they say go big, so we did after not moving a rod for 11/2 hours I got this brain storm and rigged one harness up with a #3.5 blade usually I use # 5 or # 6 blades and after 20 minutes fish on, then again, so I rigged just one side with a #3.5 and they all started to get hits, so I switched all but one because that's all I had and the rod with the #5 blade never took a hit all day. So I learned something that day bigger isn't always the answer. And now I always have a small blade in the mix, just so I know that if it's one of those days you know what you gotta do. In the fall of the year when the fish are in the shallows feeding on the minnows that are in the weeds I would use the match the hatch theory, in the summer months when fishing at dusk or at night then I would use the larger baits, just because the bigger baits are easier to detect or hear with the bigger louder sounds from a larger lure or a pure reaction bite occurs. Of course this is my philosophy, from what I gathered from fishing Erie, Ontario, Oneida, Canada, and I will admit that lakeO kicks my but more than not. It used to be rather easy for the walleye before the water cleared up. Out around Stoney and Galoo we stopped and dropped a yellow jig in 22ft of water and you could look down and see it on the bottom!! so how far can a walleye see in these clear waters, Long lines and boards far off the sides this year is my game plan, lets see what happens this spring. 

All great info. I like using floating original Rapalas in the smaller,3-5 sizes, near (almost on!) shore. They are difficult to cast, but the eyes love em. Works great on Honoeye this time of year.......The flatraps cast way better though and they seem to like those too.....

Tim,

The 2 biggest walleyes i caught in oneida were under the north 81 bridge on a nasty day with an east wind, and you know what size lures i was using! Neither was fat, but both were around 24 inches. If its blowing hard out of the east and rainy the bridges are great. The biggest one i trolled was on a live target sized perch bait that was easy 6 inches and it was just a hair shorter... ill find the pics....that eye came between Frenchman's and oneida shores.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice work on the eyes guys.  Pro-Fish-nc I believe those baitfish are immature alewives rather than shad.

Edited by Sk8man

Nice otisco eyes!!

Got out this evening for about 90 mins at oneida. Got 3 (1 short) in the first 40 mins then nothing for the rest of the time. Fish continuing to fight hard! It was nice to Be out with warmer temps.

Congrats to you 315angler How short was the one,  interesting That a smaller one would be in with the big girls, have you ever caught a small one out of Otisco future walleye?