Bevy of Buttons

Gill-T

I don't know if everyone is noticing the huge crop of button bucks in the woods this year?  I would say I am seeing 4 buttons for every female yearling.  I have noticed the trend in all areas I have hunted.  This may have ramifications on doe harvest and culling inferior bucks in the next few years as the buck to doe ratio may swing hard the other way.  I also noticed every doe has two yearlings which has been counter to years past.  I used to attribute single fawns to a large degree to coyote predation.  I gal I know who runs the western NY wildlife rehabilitation center says fawn mortality is more about the diseases they pick up.  Every year is a different bug.  This spring it was a coccidiosis outbreak.  My dog contracted this as well.  Anyway, what is everyone seeing out there?

I'm seeing 50/50 split bucks to doe which is not typical for me as I usually see more doe (Wolcott and Ontario). Average number of buttons for me. Most doe have two offspring. Bucks I'm seeing are bigger racked than previous years. Doe I'm seeing are bigger and the one I harvested was bigger than previous year's harvests. No ticks.......yet......

Good luck this year,

- Chris

This year I've noticed far more small bucks on my cameras (spikes, four points) than in the past few years.

Agreed....I have seen a ton of small bucks so I decided a cull was in order.  6 point and doe tags filled sat by 9 am.  Fourth small buck I had seen that morning.  Had to be at kids soccer game by 3.  Gut two deer, drag them both out by myself, and hit the road peeling rubber to get to game on time.  Sat next to a well made-up soccer mom while I smelled like a gut pile.

All the does we have on the farm only one fawn button buck. The rest are dead coyotes got them all. I'll see 10 bucks for every doe.

Sounds like you need to fix that sausage party ratio.