tilt/trim problem?

lineman49

A friend has a 1991-,  90hp mercury o./b. He put the motor all the way up with the power tilt/trim & now it won't go down, any ideas why?   He has power on both sides of the inline relays & at the tilt/trim motor where the power goes into that motor.   Also is there a way to put the motor down manually?    Thanks for any info.

My uncle had the same problem, on his there was a release screw, I don't remember where it was any more. We took the motor off, marked it with a black marker so it goes back together the same way, what we found was condensation froze the brushes in the holder, of course after we took it apart, sprayed the end cap with penetrating fluid and then worked the brushes loose so they slide freely, then sprayed it clean with carb. cleaner and put it back together and problem solved that was 3 years ago. We had power to both wires also, up one wire is hot, down the other wire is hot, that's how the motor gets it's forward and reverse for the up & down. hope this helps, just remember to mark the cap & case so you put it together the same way his you could go either way.  You will need a dental pick to push the one brush back far enough to get it over the armature.

A friend has a 1991-,  90hp mercury o./b. He put the motor all the way up with the power tilt/trim & now it won't go down, any ideas why?   He has power on both sides of the inline relays & at the tilt/trim motor where the power goes into that motor.   Also is there a way to put the motor down manually?    Thanks for any info.

When he try's putting it up more does the power tilt/trim motor run ????  My 80hp the switch went bad I could put it up but just clicked to go down....... pulled wires off switch and cleaned them and it worked OK , if not you could just switch them too get it down till you replace switch................hope it helps......

When he try's putting it up more does the power tilt/trim motor run ????  My 80hp the switch went bad I could put it up but just clicked to go down....... pulled wires off switch and cleaned them and it worked OK , if not you could just switch them too get it down till you replace switch................hope it helps......

ERABBIT, he says he has power at the relays which eliminates the switch and power at the motor wires that tells me it's in the motor its self, and that's the same problem uncle Dave had unfortunately for him it was stuck in the down mode, we were able to get a screwdriver in there and tap on the motor and it went up. When we got home and were able to inspect the situation it looked like we had to let the motor down about a 1/4 of the way to knock out the roll pins and then the 2 rods that held the trim motor to the main motor. Then remove the plug at the relays and slide every thing out the bottom.