Mr Mayhem

mr mayhem

For what I am told the best way to start here is to introduce myself

I am located in the bay of quinte area in Canada

But do cover most of the lake and thousand islands, sackets etc in my normal summer of boating 

I am not a veteran fisherman at all (mainly as a kid for pike and walleye)

Going to try my hand at salmon/trout fishing this year on the Lake and stumbled across your website

I have been lurking for a few days and look forward to using some of the information I am starting to pick up

As of right now (dec 2013) I have nothing but the boat and a 1 year old son I would eventually like to teach some of this to

Will be setting the boat up with downriggers and buying the poles and lures etc as I go in hopes of being ready late April 2014 (all of which i do not have yet)

That being said, please excuse any questions that might make me seem a little green as i am just getting my feet wet

Any advice as far as equipment or preferences would be appreciated on all fronts  -  I assume there are alot of opinions and followers between the brands one way or the other but anything will help to get me started

In addition to that, if there are some "must have" items it would be good to know that so that i can get started in the right direction

I have a fish finder coming that will hook into my existing GPS system (Simrad BSM-1 with transducer for water temp etc)

look forward to talking with you guys and maybe seeing you on the water

Shea

First of all WELCOME to LOU Shea! I am sure you have realized by now from perusing the website it contains a rich storehouse of useful information and a lot of very knowledgeable people willing to share their experiences and "gems of wisdom" :)  In terms of obtaining basic equipment for trout and salmon fishing this site often has some pretty good "bargains" in the way of used equipment especially stuff like lures and attractors etc. Trout and salmon fishing can (and is) be an expensive "hobby" (as he looks behind to see if his wife is nearby :lol: ) so it may pay to start out slowly. Searching this site and doing some basic research regarding some of your equipment needs can be productive although it will require a bit of patience and perseverance to sort out personal opinion from "fact".  In general, if you  start with high quality basic equipment you'll save money in the long run and also minimize headaches and frustration. Better to get good stuff and go slowly than to jump in with a whole bunch of "questionable quality = usually but not always cheaper" items. Getting reels with good drags is essential. Getting rods with some backbone to them is also important. Rod length is mainly a matter of preference but can be important considering the size of our boat and location of rod holders for separation to reduce tangles. You will need good sturdy rod holders as these rods and reels (especially with wire line and dipseys etc.) get a real workout even without a chinook on the other end but the torque from an aggressive salmon can rip a rod holder out and/or send a rod and reel flying so they need a solid anchor point on the boat. Having an auxillary trolling motor is very desirable for two reasons: speed control and serving as a"backup" if you experience main motor failure. Setting up your transducer properly on your boat is also important so that downrigger weights can be followed especially at depth....sometimes this requires a lot of playing around until you get it right for your particular situation but if you are going to use "riggers" it is critical. I know this information doesn't answer your specific equipment questions but hopefully it will serve as a general "backdrop" or "grounding" for you in thinking about the specific input of other folks.

thanks guys, looking forward to it

bit more info

the boat is a viking sportfish so we have lots of cockpit space and a variety of existing rod holders both for storage and for trolling

unfortunately i won't be able to put  a kicker on the back but should be able to slow the boat down for a troll

I assume 5-6mph ish?  is there a good speed to start from?

as far as the transducer set up, I was going to use a through hull device rather than a transom mount...... should this be set closer to the stern of the boat?  will the transducer actually pick up the cannonball?   this has not been installed yet so i can put it whereever      was a little concerned with propwash  from the inboards if thast would cause any issues?

I guess this also depends on location of the downriggers too    I had assumed they would go on the port and starboard sides at the very back?

Trolling speed is usually about 1.3- 3.0mph and most commonly about 2.3mph.  The slower trolling speeds for cowbells and flashers or Spin Doctors usually than just an all spoon setup. If you go the thru hull route you may want to have a good marina technician do it because there are quite a few things to consider (for example the degree of deadrise, any voids or wood embedded int he hull, potential prop and hull (e.g. chines) turbulance sources etc.). There can be many limitations regarding where the transducer can be placed and you want to maximize your coverage of downriggers (select widest cone angle possible in that regard at the stern). I would mount the downriggers ( or at least let them know exactly where) where you wish before the transducer installation too so they will be able to assess that placement too.

Edited by Sk8man

Welcome to the site!!! Beautiful boat!! And just wait till you start drilling wholes it's a sad and proud day at the same time hahahaha... And I have seen a lot of different style cowbells but most all are still a simple and similar design. A short segment of fishing wire just like you see for steel leaders then their is rotating attractors on them some are copper,silver, painted all different kinds!! Then behind that is what you desire the fish to eat wobble trolls peanuts I have used flat fish and even spoons.. Think of a mepps spinner take all the hooks off connect them end to end then add something with a little different appearance and a hook a little ways behind the last one. I use a set of cowbells that are 30" long and have 4, 5" long willow leaf shape blades then about 20" behind that I run a spin'n glow

Basics you will need....

1).  Start with two downriggers mounted just inside the corners of the transom (to keep them from bumping the dock), with swivel bases that allow you to swing the rigger.  Cannon, Scotty, Big Jon Brutes are all good choices.  Pick a rigger rated capable of handling a 20lb downrigger weight.  Look at the 15Lb torpedo weights A-Tom-mik sells on their site.  Blacks make an easy release.

2).  Look at Ugly Stick dipsy and downrigger rods (Cheap and bullet proof)

3).  Look at Diawa Saltists for rigger reels (size 30) and look at the Shimano Tekota line-counters for dipsy reels. 

4).  30lb Big Game green mono for rigger reels.  30lb stainless trolling wire for the dipsy set-ups

5).  Start with two dipsy ratcheting rod holders for the dipsy rods

6).  Invest in a speed and temp unit.  Fish Hawk, Moor Subtroll and Depth Raider-both need coated downrigger cable.

7).  Spin Doctor an fly set-ups, and some spoons. 

8).  Quality ball bearing swivels with coast lock or duolock clasp configuration rated for at least 30lbs.

Just some basics that will keep you plenty busy in year one.  Ask questions about boat set-ups, baits etc. and you will get a response on this site.  Head down to the dock and look at how some of the charters have their boats set-up.  Become an observer in local tournaments to learn from the best. 

Edited by Gill-T

Very good info from Gill T regarding the equipment

Here are some examples of different types of cowbells (they serve basically as attractors).There are many others.... If you look closely you can see examples of peanuts as well

Here is an individual setup with peanut....(many other setups possible(twin minnow, spoons, bait etc.) All that is missing is a 32 ounce sinker at the end of a "drop line" suspended (about18-24 inches) from the red colored rudder at the front of the cowbell setup

post-145411-0-07313200-1386707396_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-17790200-1386707405_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-14664400-1386708094_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Dipsey rods are usually stouter or stiffer especially ones used for wire. Downrigger rods have more action at the tip end usually because they spend a lot of time bent.....kinda like us old geezers I guess :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

The downrigger rods go in the downrigger holders and the downrigger boom should be pointed outward in the place where it will interact least with other lines (sometimes at 45 degree angle sometimes straight back from the stern which is why placement is important. The dipsey rods go in separate holders pointed outward from the gunwales (sides) at close to 90 degree angle usually and tilted slightly upward. Sometimes you have to make adjustments in the swivel bases of your downriggers to place things so they don't tangle. If you can afford a charter you could probably save yourself a lot of time (and frustration) in the learning curve by observing their setups and then translating to your boat situation. It is a lot easier when you see this stuff in action and can ask questions of competent fishermen in real time  Some charters (or the rest of us sport fishermen) may be running12 or more separate lines at once and it is a sight to see :)

Here is a very basic one person setup of three rods (2 downriggers and one wire dipsey)as an example

post-145411-0-53964400-1386777440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man