NY SAFE ACT - some additional specifics of interest

Sk8man

Step 1 in becoming a police state. I bet it hurt Larry Potterfield having to send this out. This state is such a POS the way it's being run... Bunch of BS

post-151421-13892814738883_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah I got it too. King Cuomo and his cronies always think they have it all figured out....the so-called SAFE Act shows how stupid they really are....OK outlaw higher capacity magazines ...so some nutcase  just carries multiple guns and as many magazines as he can carry and then has the ability to use hundreds of rounds anyway. How long does it take to change a magazine anyway....they just wanted to make it APPEAR as though they were doing something...The mental health issues aren't going to go away...they don't have the inclination or the money to deal with the REAL problems and don't have the courage to take on the movie industry and Hollywood penchant for violence that has embedded itself in our culture and although they have no respect for the 2 nd Ammendment they are afraid to even consider challenging any aspect of the 1st.

I remember a case out in Arizona couple years back where a shooter Named Loughner shot Cabby Gifford and 18 other people of which 6 died..He used a Glock 19 handgun that had a 33 round magazine.The way he was stopped was when trying to reload dropped the new clip..A woman there jumped on the clip and struggle lasted long enough for a couple guys to jump and knock Lougher around..What u think would of happen in a crowded mall if he got the 2nd 33 round clip in...

And thank God it happened that way!  My point is that the PRIMARY issues aren't being dealt with....the guy was mentally ill like so many others out on the street without services (or medication and monitoring) and families unable to have their dangerous relative admitted or committed because the facilities and services no longer exist or the "legalities"prevent it from happening. The focus should be on this area and on severely limiting the portrayed violence in the media and video games and making sure that illegally possessed guns by criminals are severely dealt with in terms of long prison terms (e.g. gang stuff, drive-by's, home invasions armed robberies etc.) Most of these guys get short sentence "hand slaps" and they are back out on the street with huge rap sheets behind them repeating over and over. 

My point is that the PRIMARY issues aren't being dealt with....the guy was mentally ill like so many others out on the street without services (or medication and monitoring) and families unable to have their dangerous relative admitted or committed because the facilities and services no longer exist or the "legalities"prevent it from happening.

Spot on.  Deal with the mental issues and almost all of this goes away, and I don't mean being a compassionate humanitarian and having a talk with them.  With our age of having access to massive data capturing possibilities, use it for something worthwhile.....tracking these psyche cases.  If you track a persons abberative behaviour in a database from the time they are in kindergarten through adulthood, you'll know who the bad actors are.  Are they showing aggression, psychosis, anti-social behavior, narcissism, lack of compassion, cruelty to animals.....etc.  Be much less tolerant of these individuals and quicker to commit/imprison them  It's time for real measures and not feel good gestures.

Good input guys...If the government would listen to you things mite improve..But unfortunately  we have a group in government that rejected background checks on gun sales...That same party is against spending tax payer dollars on anything that will help the poor the ill or the down trodden....Not sure about all these bad dudes getting minor sentences for drive by shooting, home invasions ect..Maybe publishing some facts on that be useful..I know prisons are full and if you send 1 guy up the river a good chance u have to let some one out to make room..Bad situation....Keeping track of every child from 5 yrs old and up sounds good until u figure there's a couple hundred million people to keep check on...Impossible task and the expense would be knocked down by that party again...Rough deal most don't want to step on 2nd amendment rights. But 10 to 11 million murders per year with guns is not good either..How'd this great country get so Fouled up....

I have to agree with the mental illness aspect of all these recent acts of violence being the basis . Knee jerk reaction is to ban guns. But society needs to figure out how to deal with the real problem. Thought about this plenty and still can't come up with a reasonable solution.

No question mental illness to blame in most multiple shooting cases...But I think poverty ( no jobs), heavy drug use.  behind most  gun violence..Need for drugs under the expense of the drugs today leads to crime as the only way to get money...Guess we'll have to all carry guns 1 day to try and stay safe..Then the trick will be how do u tell the good guys from the bad guys when every one is carrying a gun...Looks as if the solution is no guns, or too many guns so every 1  can shoot some one they afraid of...Good Lord..

For those of you not in the twin tiers.  This happened yesterday.

http://www.the-leader.com/article/20140109/NEWS/140109736

This is the problem that I have.  We don't require educating our children in anything considered politically incorrect, however, my kids tell me everything that's wrong with the Polar bear's habitat & the rain forest.  This young man shooting at squirrels in City limits probably suffers from a severe lack of common sense and never had a strong role model for gun safety.  City limits - really?

My Dad drilled us boys in gun safety continuosly and added that I will crush you look if you didn't obey.  #1 rule.  Always check to see if its loaded.  #2 Never point a gun at something unless you intend to shoot it, #3 Always know what is behind what you are shooting at. There are more but these are the big ones.  As a Father I have determined that it is best for me to hold off showing my cubs how to use a gun not because of political correctness but because I do not think they are ready.  I was using a 4-10 & 22 rimfire at there age but everyone is diffferent.  I feel it is my responsibility and not the Government to teach my kids gun safety and I believe that is where things fall short.  How many people can buy a gun but have no idea about the simple rules I stated above.  When I was a kid, I think everyone naturally took hunter ed but it isn't required to purchase - only to hunt.  What if a hunter or an owner education certificate was required.  This would make me feel better knowing young people who have zero influence with a firearm and may decide to own one have something that outlines true safety.

Mental issues are a big one that won't be solved when they try to legislate evil away.  We all know the safe gun act is full of crap and doesn't address any of the things that truly need to be addressed.  That kid shooting at squirrels in city limits isn't ill or evil - just had a moron moment.  A felony conviction might fix it but who knows?  My point is education.  Different generations had a different level and maybe we should be talking about this instead of 10 round clips or pistol grips on turkey guns.

Just MHO, Joe