Electric trolling motor

Nessmuk

I'm setting up a small 12' boat for trolling on Hemlock/Canadice.   It will have an outboard on the stern and I want an electric trolling motor on the bow.   Having given this some thought and looking at trolling motors I am wondering what size to buy.   I am thinking of erring on the high side with the idea that the little motor might need to buck a head wind in use.    The smallest motor I'll settle for is a 40# thrust but am also looking at a 50#.   Most of the time this will be used to troll at slow speed and I am wondering if I will see a big difference in battery life between the 50# and the 40#?   Thoughts/insight?

I'd go with the 50 because you can always use it in the future on a bigger boat. I don't think the battery usage will be enormously different. What uses the battery up is the speed setting itself and if you run either at the highest speeds for long it will suck life out of the battery but it is nice to have a little extra "zip" when you need it. On the other hand, a 40 should propel that 12 foot boat pretty good if you have no future intentions....

Edited by Sk8man

If there is any possibility you might use the trolling motor on a bigger boat id buy one that can have a quick detach plate, and id want a 24 volt system. Not sure about your budget or how much fishing you plan to do, but if I was gonna troll with electric id get one with a remote. I troll with a terrova and cant imagine not having the remote, but thrust wise for a 12ft boat I agree with Les.

justin

Thanks guys!   You verified what I thought but wasn't sure about due to lack of experience.    This will be a transom mount motor hung on a home made bracket.  True bow mount is probably not in the budget.   I am looking at making a handle extension for steering.