Using Bow mount electric trolling motor for Auto Pilot steering

Frogger

Can anyone provide some input on if you have experience using your bow mount trolling motor for GPS auto pilot steering when trolling.  I have read a couple of threads where this has been done but not a lot of information as to how much battery drain occurs during a day of trolling ot what speed does the motor run on.  Do you need the 24 volt system? How much thrust 50 or do you need as much as 110? I have the Sea Nymph 19 ft and already have the dual batterys system with 4 electric DR. 

Any insight would be helpful, and theres never too much information, thanks guys.

Thrust depends on the weight of the boat.  Are you looking to just steer with it or troll completely on just the electric trolling motor? You are going to want separate batteries for the trolling motor and the riggers because you will likely need a 24V system for the trolling motor.  Have you measured for the shaft length that will decide how many lbs. thrust you can get?

I was in the same boat as you (no pun intended) when it came to autopilot but my boat was much bigger and heavier (~4500lbs.) it also had a deeper V that kept me from getting the trolling motor deep enough in the water.  

Do a search on GLangler.com there are a few guys that use them for trolling for walleyes and salmon in erie.

Thanks Chas, I will probably do both, helps when perch ect on the fingerlakes but really looking foward to using it as a steer for auto pilot if it works.  Im thinking im going to need a 60inch shaft from the way my boat sits out of the water but havent measured it yet.  My boat is not that heavy <2000lbs so I wouldnt think I would need any more than 85lbs but not sure.  Was hoping not to have to go with 24v only to stay away from having 4 batteries on the boat.  When you troll and use it to steer is the thing running low , med, fast? or does it speed up on its own when it needs to track back to course?  I will check on that sight you gave me as well.

Steelydan, using for steering your boat with using the big motor I'm assuming? What speed is the electric going when it's not too windy? How we'll does it work? Is it the cats meow or is it just ok and I'd be better off using the 1200.00 for something else?

I have a minnkota with autopilot on my 18 ft Starweld but haven't tried to use it to steer while using the big motor to troll. I will give it a shot in the spring and report back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i use it for steering mostly, but on dead calm days i use it for thrust and steering. the track back feature is great. for steering only at 2.0 i am usually around 5 of 10. on calm days you can sneak up close and personal to the browns using it for thrust.  it is dead silent. the hand held wireless control is the best, when most of your business is at the stern you dont have to worry about a foot pedal at the bow.