Boat name origins

Heres how I got mine

Back 45 years ago or so, when I started venturing out on my own (without dad) my most productive lure for trout on the local rivers and streams was a spoon. When I finally got my drivers license at 17 I was fishing the Barton River in northern Vermont. I came across an old timer that was camped out with his live bait on the bottom of a really nice pool. Started talking to him about the fishing and he told me he's been there for awhile and hadn't caught anything. He was a nice old guy. I asked if he minded if I took a cast in the pool and he said "go right ahead young man"

I shot my spoon across the pool and as it was washing down into the deep hole a big old Brown come up and smashed it. Turned out to be about 3 1/2 lbs and thats a nice fish for that river. The old guy got all excited and called out "What the hell are you feeding those fish?"

"spoons" I told him and he shook his head and looking at the Brown with the spoon stuck in his mouth he said spoon fed trout and laughed.

That memory stuck with me my whole life as he was truly amazed a piece of bent metal could catch a fish. I been fishing spoons my entire life therefore "Spoonfed" for my boat name was at the top of the list.

Never met Heaven Bound but I hope he's fishing that big trout pond in the sky.

Glen

Great Idea Rod. This has made for some great reading thanks to Duane. Sounds like he was one heck of a nice guy.

I dont currently own a boat buy my last one was named: Nemesis. Seemed like a good name because we are always trying to out smart the fish and some times we dont. Thus the name. The fish are my Nemesis.

Past boats have been: "Wired for Fun" my last name is Wyard. And I stole the name "Nothing But Net" from a boat I saw being trailered down I-90 going east one day. Both these last boats were defective and went back the factory with hull issues. 3 new boats is less than a year and a half.

I hope to fish with Duane on the big pond in the sky some day.

Not great story but a fitting name.

First boat was named Sally-mon (said with an Island accent) because that is what I liked to fish for. Second boat was named Annie because I made the switch to saltwater and started Mermaid Charters. When my wife was a kid she thought the jingle ask any mermaid you happen to see.... was Ask annie mermaid....thus the name. Third boat was a down easter I had built. Named it Miss Fitz, after my crew lol, well that and my last name starts with Fitz. kind of fit. Fourth boat is my transition back to freshwater again. I purchased the boat new from a dealer in Michigan. Much better price than anything I could get local. Thus the name Long Haul. It was a looong haul to take her home.

I have had other smaller boats, canoes, kayaks and jon boats but never named them.

Spike

RIP Duane. He sounds like a great guy.