Chaumont Bay 5/10 & 5/11

Chas0218

My buddy came up over the weekend for some walleye fun. We got the good old Chaumont bay grand slam. The last photo was of a storm front moving in. We were out on the water and I looked over and was getting dark, my buddy wanted to wait a few more minutes but I persuaded him it was time to leave. On the way in the sky lit up with spider lightning and I think he almost capped himself.

On a side note the day we caught that one pike with my buddy in the red the boat almost sank. One of my rear deck plates broke and was filling the bilge without me knowing and the automatic bilge pump took a Crap. Once it filled enough the back of the boat got swamped and we had to haul balls out of there. Definitely made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. We got to shore and put her on the boat cradle and was able to drain her. At that point I wish I didn't have a full tank of full to weigh her down. No one got hurt thank goodness but the boat will have 2 automatic bilge pumps with an extra back up. Thank God for flotation foam and "unsinkable boats".

IMG_55932442849755_zpscok2hxee.jpeg

IMG_57537576437704_zpsh7s4utrb.jpeg

IMG_57544718906801_zpsew5jyngt.jpeg

20140511_071119_zpsaqalux7w.jpg 20140510_132917_zpsxvtzixrt.jpg

20140510_072808_zpsf9tpjl6x.jpg

IMG_55886126048297_zpspxvtogg8.jpeg IMG_20140511_192545_zpsj285hyfk.jpg

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

Excellent catch Chase, to bad the boat went south, looks like you guys had your game on. I hope it doesn't cost you a arm and a leg to get back in the game. Yea, I always have two bilge pumps, one is auto and the other is a flip of a switch. Crapped a bellow once out around Galloo, and the harder we ran the more she pumped Lake O' liquid inside, backed out of the throttle and ran 3 1800gph pumps, 2 in the bilge and one in the step down, NOT fun. Very glad to hear everyone is safe and a few bonus EYES!!!

caught with your zipper down! nice eyes!

Haha ya that was my buddy, he broke the zipper after taking a leak out the back.  You know what they say he was trolling for...walleyes.  haha No offense little crappie just thought it was fitting as we were trolling.

Nice fish..Will U be up there next weekend? Me and a couple of buddys will be up next weekend. Hoping to have some good weather. Joel

Not sure yet but I am hoping to get back up. I heard Shangrila's prices are going up this season with the new owners.  Looking forward to gettting back out.

Excellent catch Chase, to bad the boat went south, looks like you guys had your game on. I hope it doesn't cost you a arm and a leg to get back in the game. Yea, I always have two bilge pumps, one is auto and the other is a flip of a switch. Crapped a bellow once out around Galloo, and the harder we ran the more she pumped Lake O' liquid inside, backed out of the throttle and ran 3 1800gph pumps, 2 in the bilge and one in the step down, NOT fun. Very glad to hear everyone is safe and a few bonus EYES!!!

Actually didn't really cost me anything other than a new pair of boxers! haha I didn't think we were going to sink but I thought the one guy in the red jacket was going to have a coronary. I got her all ready except the bilge pumps it looks like I will be running 2 more lines this next week for the bilge pumps.
Edited by Chas0218

those are some nice catches right there.. were you pretty much just flat lining stick/spoons off the back  ?  Haven't tried Chaumont Bay out at all yet, but thinking of trying to get up there at least once this season.

We were actually running off shore planer boards and deep divers.  The fish are generally really scattered so you need to cover a lot of ground and trolling stick baits seems to be the most effective in that area.

Haha! I was trying to see what bait you guys were using :)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I told him to wiggle his worm to maybe entice them a little.

Hi Chas, 

I talked with you last season and im right across the bay on f.r. 26.  We did very well with Michigan stingers off the boards trailing 1/2 oz gib weights and 4.5" storm shallow divers trailing half oz split shot.  The pike seem to still be too cold for a "good bite" .  Ill be back up this weekend and next weekend and would be glad to compare notes on the fish. 

Chris