Battery set up

Fishtails

I'm changing the battery set up in my boat. Currently, everything runs off the two starting batteries. I'm adding a new battery compartment with two extra batteries to run all the electronics and riggers.

My question is, what's the best brand/type battery to use for this application? I'm guessing a deep cycle, but there are lots of new batteries on the market I'm not familiar with. Money does matter, but a longer lasting charge will be worth some extra coin.

For charging I've ordered a solar panel trickle charger.

Thanks guys.....Any suggestions would be appreciated !!

i use 2 napa dual purpose batteries. they are designed to have both cranking amps and deep cycle characteristics. i have one wired for starting and the other to run the riggers and the electronics. typically i get about 3 years out of them and i believe that they have a 2 year full replacement warranty

Dear, Rod

I would recommend deep cycle batteries for your riggers and electronics not cranking batteries.

I would also recommend the largest battery made.but that would depend on how many hours you spend on the water and how often you go out fishing.

If you leave your boat at a marina a solar charger might do the job. This depends how ofter you get out fishing and how much you use your riggers. If you need your batteries charged within a few hour. I would recommend a three bank battery charger. If you have access to 120 v power.

Give me all the info you can about your fishing habits, and I will look into it for you. Happy to Help.

Sincerely,

Jay

Thanks for the advise Jay and Legacy.

To answer your questions Jay, I keep it at the marina mostly, so I get full sun when the sun is out. I also liked the idea that a solar charger will charge while I'm out on the lake. They make really powerful ones, but with wattage comes increased size, so I opted for a 5 watt trickle charger that should at least help. I don't have shore power, so last year I lugged batteries back and forth and I'd prefer not to do that anymore (at least not as much). The only time I'd see a problem is when I fish 3-4 days in a row......which I do fairly often.

I figure if I get really good batteries, I should be good.....just don't know what kind to get? I will have two batteries dedicated to electronics only. This includes 3 chartplotters, 2 fishfinders, sub troll, marine radio, music radio and 3 downriggers.

Another question.....should I run the batteries in series ?

I don't know if you troll with a kicker or not, but something I just thought of which you might consider doing. I think the part is called a battery isolator, and what it does is charge all your batteries while your main engine is running, but when you turn the engine off to troll with a kicker, the main starting battery is isolated from the remainder of the electrical system to make sure it has enough juice to start the main engine when you need to. All your accessories (downriggers, GPS, chartplotter, etc) can run off the secondary battery. After a day of fishing, when you fire-up the main engine to run in, your secondary battery which was being used all day begins to get charged immediately. Depending on how far out you are, your secondary battery may have a decent re-charge by the time you get back into port. I'm looking at such a system for my dual-battery setup.

Dear FT,

I use group 27 Interstate deep cycle batteries. BUT the best help is the special 100 amp alternator. I had NE Electric put in a special rectifier in the alternator so I get 30 amps output @ 1500 engine RPM. If you are running the old style 35 amp Mercruiser's, they only put out minimum amperage @ about 1300 RPM....10-15 amps. So our slow trolling & big electronics packages really kills your battery life in one day! until you get up on plane and running is when you get the 35 amps! You must also run a #8 wire from the alternator to the starter positive terminal when using the 100 amp plus alternators. ...Jet Boat Bill

Dear, Rod

I am not sure how much money you want to put into boat,using the resources you have and the safety issues involved. I might be able to figure out a solution for you.

I would advise purchasing the highest ml amp/hr rated deep cycle battery you can find. I am not sure what brand is the best.

You will have 3 chart plotters, 2 fishfinders, 1 sub troll , 1 vhf , 1 am/fm and 3 riggers.

I would connect two batteries in parallel to run your elec. equipment. I would also recommend dedicating one marine cranking battery for your engine.

Do you have an inboard or outboard on your boat?

Do use a trolling motor?

Does your main engine provide enough charging power at low rpms to

to keep your starting battery fully charged?

There are a few ways to do this. Happy to HELP.

Send me a message letting me know,what we are working on.

Sincerely,

Jay

Thanks so much for the help guys. Jay....I will send you a pm.

Bill, I have experienced exactly what your speaking of in the Oswego Pro Am last year....4 days of trolling with very limited time @ full power I found equals 2 dead starting batteries and a tow in from the CG. Some lessons are learned the hard way.... :lol:;(

Thats the reason I want to get everything off the starting batteries.

Maybe you should have the alternator looked at/tested out? It should easily keep your batteries charged up with electronics.

I have three batteries- one for the riggers and two for cranking/running all my other gear.

With a fresh charge on all three I run out on one cranking battery and back in on the other cranking battery. That leaves you with two fully charged cranking batteries when you get back in. The battery dedicated to the downriggers (2 Scotty's) will run an entire weekend without a charge. Get some nice Exide or Interstate Marine 900 CCA batteries with as much reserve as you can afford- should be about $80 a piece.

I never run with the switch in the "ALL" position- you'll never know if one battery is getting weak or not. Always start off one battery- if it can't handle the load, it's time for a new one.

My bass boat is another story..... 4 batteries and an onboard 3 bank charger. Two in series for the Minkota and two singles for starting/electronics. I can run all day on one battery with both fishfinders, the GPS and the baitwell and livewell pumps running all day.... all while trolling on the Minkota. I switch to #2 to start for the ride back, then to #1 to charge it back up on the way in.

i would definetely look into an upgrade on your alternator. 2-3 batteries should be plenty as long as they are getting charged. mine was upgraded and works great trolling UNDER 1000 rpm.