Battery switch installation

rustyrat

Ok rigging my new boat. I put in a second battery and hooked up the electronics to it. The main starting battery has the riggers and motor only. I need to install a switch (perko). How the heck do I wire it? Where do I get the wire and terminals?

Motor is a 4.3 mercrusier IO.

My understanding is to only run it on the main (1) on the way out and then on the way back in switch it to 2 to charge the electronics battery. Can you switch the battery from 1 to 2 while the motor is running?

Never run it on both unless you can't start motor. Never switch it to off when the motor is running or you will blow the alternator.

any other info please.

Thanks guys.

RR

OK Rusty, I'll behave myself on this one.

I run a 2 battery system with a Perko switch. Main line (feed) goes to the main electrical buss. All my electrical & electronics feed from there including my charging systems from my main & kicker engine. Batteries go to Batt #1 & Batt #2

Only one battery is used at a time (I never use the switch on BOTH) and I will alternate the battery used from trip to trip (or day to day).

This setup has worked just fine for me for 22 years on a couple boats. Never had a dead battery. My kicker is a 9.9 with a 6 amp generator and it does just fine keeping everything running. 4 riggers, GPS, VHF, FF, autopilot, power kicker bracket, etc. (no electrical trolling motors)

Just be sure that you use large enough wires for the loads, bigger is better (within reason)when it comes to moving electricty.

Also I do switch batteries while the engine is running. I never had a problem so far with a merc IO and outboard.

Rusty...I ment to post this before this but I'm over 50 :roll: and I forgot.

I installed this battery monitor and it takes all the guess work out of the condition of the batteries. A quick glance and you know exactly what shape the batteries are in.

I got mine I think it was through Bass Pro or Cabela's but checking them now they do not carry it anymore. I googled the unit and this was the first thing that came up so I pasted the link so you can see what it is and does. Easy install and only requires a small hole to hide the wires if you surface mount it. No big gauges on the dash to mess with. 8)

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/prod ... l&_ID=6846

The price on this site is about what I paid for mine.

Got to go now. Have to hook up the boat so I can beat Strike 3 to the launch,......... last one in is a rotten egg :lol: .

• 3 weeks later...