Newbie to boating bit older for fishing...

Afternoon everyone...me and my brother just bought a sweet smoker craft 14ft. Past three weekends been in irondequoit bay. Last weekend was a dud... Lol.. Now that bass season is finally upon us been trying to figure out good boat places. I just came home a yr ago been gone about 12 yrs and now in the reserves. So figuring out fishing spots here with my younger brother who never boat fished is a bit tough. Thinking braddocks bay Saturday not sure how it is there...

Water is still cold so I would fish shallow.  Bass is one fish that is everywhere there is water.  They are gonna be in shallows right now so make sure you can cast long as to not spook em.  If you see them it is over.  I have never fished braddocks but like I said bass are everywhere.  Welcome to the site.

yeah i dont know too much about braddocks bay but i heard it was a decent spot. Irondequoit bay is always the back up but would like to find some good spots since this is my first year here in ny on boat. Thanks site seems very nice with knowledgeable fisherman.

Welcome home!  I came back about 4 years ago and got a boat, fixed er up and began figuring it out as well.  This site is a great resource, I mostly fish erie as I am in the Buffalo area but head up to Wilson for kings a least a few times a year.  New York State also runs a fishing hotline which generally has good info and recommendations.  I dont know much about the areas you are looking at, but time on the water and talking to fellow fishermen will get you where you want to be.  Absent that, take your kids with and let them chose the set-up, both of my daughters chosen set-ups (aged 3 and 5) out fish my choices 3 to 1.   Tight lines.

Thanks. Yeah I have some good friends up in buffalo I was/in the military with. Yeah I took my oldest son(4) out the other week his first fish ever was a brown.. Imagine that haha I wish mine was too. Lol. Nice I haven't heard nothing about a hotline, I've only talked to ppl in the bait stores really especially since most of irondequoit bay is a bunch of jet ski ppl nowadays.